pond water volume

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I used the pond calculator on thepondguy.com and it said my 9x5x3 pond would be 505 gallons of water. Then i tried on two other calculators and both say its actually just over 1000 gallons. Im glad i found this out before ordering all my equipment and started the pond. Most of my planned equipment will work fine still, but to think i would have been dechlorinating for 500 gallons instead of 1000 and who know what other issues would have arose from it.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It kind of makes me mad actually. They are at the top of any search you do with pond stuff, so naturally any newbies will go there first. With the water volume being such a big part of planning things out, to have your calculator give false info really sucks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The calculators are just doing very simple math that you would be better off doing yourself so you know it’s right. If your pond is a rectangle with straight sides all the way down, then (in feet): length x width x depth x 7.48.

If your pond is any other shape, post a photo with dimensions and we’ll help you figure it out.

The online calculators fail as soon as you have anything other than a simple shape with straight sides.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The calculators are just doing very simple math that you would be better off doing yourself so you know it’s right. If your pond is a rectangle with straight sides all the way down, then (in feet): length x width x depth x 7.48.

If your pond is any other shape, post a photo with dimensions and we’ll help you figure it out.

The online calculators fail as soon as you have anything other than a simple shape with straight sides.
Mine will actually be straight walled with no shelves, so other than a little gravel in the bottom and a couple fish caves, it should be right at 1000 gallons. I guess whats frustrating is the calculator on thepondguy doesnt say any of that. You just enter your dimensions and it gives you a number, in my case 505 gallons for 9x5x3, which is half of what it really is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Its just misleading, IMO, especially for newbies
Be that as it may, you will never (repeat: NEVER) go wrong underestimating your volume and therefore, UNDER stocking your pond. Where you will run into trouble is in OVER estimating your volume & therefore, OVER stocking.

One scenario makes pondkeeping a delightful hobby. The other, a nightmare (at best!) Don't fret. Just be open to learning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be that as it may, you will never (repeat: NEVER) go wrong underestimating your volume and therefore, UNDER stocking your pond. Where you will run into trouble is in OVER estimating your volume & therefore, OVER stocking.

One scenario makes pondkeeping a delightful hobby. The other, a nightmare (at best!) Don't fret. Just be open to learning.
with one exception if you underestimate the volume and are dosing for parasites or similar then you will do little other then waste your money. declinator i don't believe is all that crucial

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
with one exception if you underestimate the volume and are dosing for parasites or similar then you will do little other then waste your money. declinator i don't believe is all that crucial
True. For actual 'dosing for medicinal purposes', you need to be fairly accurate. Dechlorinator? Eh... A big 'whatever' - overdoing it isn't going to cause harm. As far as stocking purposes go? I'll stand by: understock/over plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I never trust that site - check out the information on that 500 gallon pond. "We recommend no more than FIVE KOI or 7 goldfish". I'm sorry... what now? How about ZERO koi and a dozen goldfish WOULD BE JUST FINE? Ugh ugh ugh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do yourself a favor and get an economical screw-on digital water meter for your garden hose before you fill your new pond.
I got mine on Amazon for $20. It was called a water saver. I've had it for years.
It takes the guesswork out of knowing how much water your dealing with. It's especially helpful when you need to add dechlorinator. Add the exact dosage for the amount of water your adding at any given time.

Ask a Question