Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It was just a beautiful day today! I worked all day outside switching a pump around and cleaning up filters too. The pond is now pushing more water volume and the fish think spring is here cause they think it is a natural spring runoff effect.
IMAG9997.jpg
IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0013.jpg
IMAG0015.jpg
Those filters can suck up lots of smear algae these days and my ponds are just doing beautiful! I was outside most of the day, it felt so good to be out and about in the yard not freezing to death too! Today we reached a high of 60 degrees and tomorrow should be even nicer! I am just so excited for spring and summer, and I got out my big metal grey heron today and placed it by the pond. Frost was coming out of the ground by the patio but ground is still froze hard under the leaves, so if I remove more leaves the sun can shine and get the bulbs growing for spring. All day long I was Happy, just so very HAPPY!!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
yes, the do actually beg, and follow me around pond, swimming fast and hovering at the top, they see me and there mouths actually open! The little finger sucker with a big mouth even came and ate out of my hand last night! Now some crazy woodpecker is pecking on the metal street light, and making funny noises.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I cleaned my filter also yesterday but forgot to take pix. It was really dirty cuz I had so much muck on the bottom. Nice night pix of your huge fish Colleen. They are beauties :love:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OMG It was like Heaven yesterday, the sun was shining and it was so warm! It made it to about plus 22 Celsius, that is like about 70 something Fahrenheit! The sun was so nice and warm and I soaked up lots of the rays with the fish!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I can see a big change in the plants in just the past few days, it is amazing how fast the plants can grow! The hornwort looks good in the top pond and it is spinning and churning and rising close to the top with the warmer weather. I looked back at the video from April 3rd and the marsh marigold was hardly growing and now it is three times the size!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow that filter is huge .Are they all the same size or smaller .i did not realize from the box and stuff how big they were .So you can add more on top or is that just 1

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy she has 2 screwed together to make that one. It is about 16" tall and 8" wide. I did the same w/ mine. If you use them single they are abt 8" tall and 8" wide. I just cleaned mine for the first time and it did a great job of sucking stuff up into the core. Was easy to pull out and twist off and hose off and put right back in.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
yes, I have two doubled together cause winter is long and horrid! I actually have three big pumps and each has a doubled filter, one doubled filter in the bottom pond and two sets of doubled filters on the other side of the long middleo pond, that catches lots of waste coming out of the top pond, The big koi are about the size of two fat house cats, plus all the medium sized koi eat and poo a lot so I need big filters and lots of water movement.

Fishy love, the reason my water is so clear is due to filtering the water all winter by running water threw the filters. If I only had a bubbler going the water would get real yucky fast. I only heat water when very cold, not all winter, I unplug the heater when temperture gets above minus 10 Celsius (about 17 Fahrenheit) usually, unless the cold is deep and sustained then I heat for longer periods. I did spend about 100 per month to keep the ponds heated this year. Then I ran the smaller 1250 watt heater most of the time, instead of the bigger 1500 watt. The key is to unplug it as soon as it is not needed, as it still draws lots of electric!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sissy you can add more, you can srew more together if you wish but I find two is plenty for my pumps. The bigger the pump the more algae they suck up. They are heavy duty and last a long time. I have some that are about 10 years old and still working great! Plus a good pre pump filter will make the expensive pumps last much longer!

Ask a Question