Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Rained till after two pm, then the sun finally made a brief appearance. First sunshine since Friday.
Small visitor to the pond today.

Attachments

• IMAG1909.jpg
    IMAG1909.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG1901.jpg
    IMAG1901.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMAG1907.jpg
    IMAG1907.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 254

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice mr blue eyed grass jw........neat looking.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never tried the blue eyed grass in water. Some is tucked in the rocks and the roots are in water but don't know if it would work actually in a pot in the water or not. It spreads by seed and really is starting to multiply. I'll take a picture of it when it blooms. They are really tiny little flowers.
Colleen you had a cute little visitor to your pond. She looks like she was enjoying that big fish! Think we are going to have another future ponderer one day.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Todays Featured Plant. BULL RUSH (I dug out of the creek, at some undisclosed location near Medicine Hat)
Can't even find this rush in my book, around here we call it a "Bull rush" grows up to five feet in my pond. Or was it that sebra rush I had one year in the early 90's that reverted back a bull rush? Can't remember for sure, used to have both at one time.

This rush is planted in a large basket in the top pond, I keep the water just one inch over the pot or so. This rush has not gotten out of control most likely because its still in the basket, and there is aquatic mint that has latched itself on many years ago and may be competing for space and nutrients. Never touch or moved the plant now for probally 10 years or so, still in the same basket, comes back faithfully every year.

Bull rushes have very round pointed long green things like "stems", can't really call them leaves, they look like long green round stems with funny seed heads on top. They seem to grow wild everywhere around here, there are many different types of rushes that grow wild around here.

The pictures are of the Bull Rush located in my top pond with the very large Koi.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Todays Featured Plant. BULL RUSH (I dug out of the creek, at some undisclosed location near Medicine Hat)
Can't even find this rush in my book, around here we call it a "Bull rush" grows up to five feet in my pond. Or was it that sebra rush I had one year in the early 90's that reverted back a bull rush? Can't remember for sure, used to have both at one time.

This rush is planted in a large basket in the top pond, I keep the water just one inch over the pot or so. This rush has not gotten out of control most likely because its still in the basket, and there is aquatic mint that has latched itself on many years ago and may be competing for space and nutrients. Never touch or moved the plant now for probally 10 years or so, still in the same basket, comes back faithfully every year.

Bull rushes have very round pointed long green things like "stems", can't really call them leaves, they look like long green round stems with funny seed heads on top. They seem to grow wild everywhere around here, there are many different types of rushes that grow wild around here.

The pictures are of the Bull Rush located in my top pond with the very large Koi.

Attachments

• IMAG2033.jpg
    IMAG2033.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAG2022.jpg
    IMAG2022.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAG2004.jpg
    IMAG2004.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG2010.jpg
    IMAG2010.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 287
  • IMAG1999.jpg
    IMAG1999.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 267

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Blast from the past, real old pond pictures, me, a old friend I grew up with, she was in the last set of picts above with the small girl, and my mom, pictures were from 1996 I think. Old car still sitting there where my husband left it.
1. First picture is of my mom sitting on the old red bench, still sitting by my pond, your may have noticed it before in other pictures I posted. That pond under to be the middle pond, was much smaller then.
2. Second picture is of me, long time ago, I added another pond, top pond used to be bottom pond back then.
3. Third picture us again of my mom, fish were small them, did not have as many back then.
4. Last picture is of my old friend that I grew up with, you also may have seen her in the picture right above, with the little girl.

Will dig up more old pictures again and photograph the picture (thanks JW for the tip!)

Attachments

• IMAG2036.jpg
    IMAG2036.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG2038.jpg
    IMAG2038.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMAG2041.jpg
    IMAG2041.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMAG2037.jpg
    IMAG2037.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Oh My Colleen. Simply beautiful! Cute little visitor as well. Looks like she enjoys visiting the pond and the fish. :goldfish: I googled Bull Rush, and came up with something that looks like a cattail. Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typha Now, I really have no knowledge of pond plants, but my grandparents owned a cottage on a lake and we had this same type of pond plant along the shores. Here is a link for soft Stemmed Bulrush http://www.gardeninginfozone.com/plants-for-the-pond-sedges-reeds-and-rushes My Mom, incorrectly referred to it as wild rice. I used to think we could harvest the rice and cook and eat it~ LOL :LOL:

Reaction score
Colleen,, send some rain this way, please??? We are so very dry here! We were supposed to get some rain over the weekend.....all we got was HEAT!!! Was in the mid to high 90's and even today we were 87*! Tomorrow a bit cooler.....and I hope to be able to turn off the AC and give our wallet a rest! :goldfish:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thought I might have a leak in the water way from the middle pond to the bottom pond, so I played with it and found where the water was going and changed it to look like a little water fall. Works good now, sometimes you just got to fiddle with things a bit to get it right. :)

Attachments

• IMAG2064.jpg
    IMAG2064.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG2060.jpg
    IMAG2060.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMAG2055.jpg
    IMAG2055.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 198

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I never turn off the main pumps that circulate the three ponds together. The creek runs all year under the ice, and my pond does the same. I keep the heater where there is good water movement, this will evenly heat the pond and keep the fish from hanging out at the heater. I have fairly large volume of water so it does not freeze as quick and I only heat the pond when temperatures fall below 15c or just below zero fahrenheit.

Reaction score
THANK YOU Madhatter for the much needed rain! Woo Woo :wub: We were so very dry here. My pond was down about 2-3". We are not there yet, but possibly later today we will get more. The plants have been so very thirsty. Of course, my taking out a few buckets of the green water to water my deck plants does not help! LOL At any rate, the moisture is Gr8 and the lower temps....devine! :goldfish:

Ask a Question