Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sissy, I Have no sun these days, but if that big yellow ball in the sky ever comes out those jars will be in the full morning sun. You should try different combinations with your well water and see how that goes, it will give you a idea on what might be able to work around there. You could post them here too and it would be good for others to see how things work. I would be interested in the outcome of your well water too. I used to have these jars in the sunny window in the winter to grow hornwort for the fish. That way you will always have steady supply. :)

Oh, lotus's don't grow very well here, I only seen them once for sale at this greenhouse, they did not look good either!

Reaction score
Colleen, I absolutely love your gardens, ponds, dogs and finned pets and your sense of humor. LOL Your statement of Pot Head overseeing the experiment cracked me up! LOL How is the experiment going? I would try said experiment, but I do not have an abundance of jars. Used to keep mayo jars, but now everything comes in plastic! Your Koi and Goldies are beautiful. You have put a lot of work in your yard and it shows...simply beautiful! Keep up the posts, I am slowly learning from your posts...retention though is questionable ;)

CyndiMO

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hey! My pond is blowing bubbles. (Rain softened the water making conditions right for bubbles to remain on water surface)

Just when the fish thought it was safe come out......

Attachments

• IMAG1773.jpg
    IMAG1773.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMAG1751-1.jpg
    IMAG1751-1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMAG1742.jpg
    IMAG1742.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMAG1730-1.jpg
    IMAG1730-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 299

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol gator time! I love my gator heads, seem to keep the heron at bay!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Love my pond gator and duck, so do the kids that seem to come every day. Off work now for three days, maybe tomorrow I'll finish this other project I was working on with big cement blocks, making a new path off the deck. There is always so much to do outside, I think I got a project in every corner of the yard, its non stop!

Today at work I ran into these Swiss people that I knew as a small child. They had a garden and pond, when I was in elementary school. After school I would ride my bide over to their house and ask to see the pond, and she was always very nice to me, she used to give me baby goldfish. These people are in their late 80's and early 90's now and they told me that they were not going to have the pond or garden anymore and were now moving out of town to be closer to their children. I was very sad, I used to still go and see their yard and pond. They were very had working gardeners and I wondered how they could still beat me at gardening! I told them I would sure miss them, it was sad, they told me that they had been gardening for 58 years. I almost cried. Now I got the kids from next door coming every day, wonder if one of them will grow up to have a pond too! Life really is a cycle.....

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cold Canadian in desperate need of some "Hot loving Sun!" This morning by the pond, chilly 42 degrees, water cold after rain last couple days. Made a small fire out back with scrap wood to take the chill off. Seems to feel colder somehow after the rain. Making big pot of coffee, new blend of light and dark roast somehow seems fitting this morning.

Outside early this morning...

Attachments

• IMAG1793.jpg
    IMAG1793.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG1806.jpg
    IMAG1806.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG1808.jpg
    IMAG1808.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Colleen, That's neat you stayed in touch with your Swiss friends after all these years. I'm sure you are sad about them parting with the garden and pond, but they hopefully they are looking forward to new adventures with their children and grandchildren. Hope the sun comes out by you soon! It's cool today but they are saying it might hit 100 degrees here tomorrow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That was a nice story about your old friends Colleen and sorry things have to change, people get old and move on to other things but it's nice you get to remember the neat things you got to do w/ them long ago. I bet it was fun for them getting to see you again and you get to do it all just like they did for your little neighbor kids. Sending some sun your way today................we have tons of it here right now............only 59F here but should get into the 70's and that's right comfy to me B)
Another thing..............man you get up early, it says you posted at 4:53am :eek:

Ask a Question