Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
What a beautiful evening! I was outside taking pictures tonight as the sun was going down, and the neighbors parked out front and noticed me, and the lady said to me "Oh what beautiful pink flamigos"! Then they said they always love to oook at all my pretty lights! Oh of course we struck up a conversation and I find out that her hubby went to school and knows my hubby he was all happy to discover that an old high school buddy is right next door! They came and sat beside my pond and took a tour of my gardens and loved my big koi and were amazed that I keep them outside for last 22 years successfully! I think the woman is his girlfriend or something. So I said they have to come over on the weekend and have a beer with my hubby, and he was all happy... What a small world we live in!
View attachment 73298 View attachment 73299 View attachment 73300 View attachment 73301 View attachment 73302 View attachment 73303 View attachment 73305
I wanna come to your house!!!! Are your paper lanterns solar?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Come on Down!! I can make coffee, tea, or offer you wine or cold beer, maybe even a Vodka Ceasar with fresh sliced hot peppers and fresh squeezed key limes!!! Those are so nice to drink by the pond on a really hot evening! The extra celery salt quenches your thirst too!

Most of the hanging lanterns are make from silk and are solar, but the cheaper ones inside the gazebo, are paper and have batteries that I got from the dollar store! I just love them all AND they help block the "landing path" of the big bad blue Heron, so he cannot come back and I have not seen him now for three years!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love your new rock area and those do look like really big ones! I think the fairies might have sipped some nice drinkies while putting your stones down after midnight :LOL:
Wow just noticed your temp says 99F right now at 4pm! I'm only at 80 and been working out on my pond moving plants around and ripping out some Flag Iris from between the rocks. That stuff has strong gripping filangies :eek:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, JW the little fairies must have slipped me something in my coffee again today, cause even though it was near 100 degrees
IMAG3863.jpg
IMAG3871.jpg
IMAG3869.jpg
IMAG3866.jpg
IMAG3896.jpg
IMAG3799.jpg
IMAG3839.jpg
But there I was, working on the cobble again. I got some nice sand and pressed it into the cobble and manged to do a few more rocks. Now I am out of rocks and must sneak over to my secret rock pile and get more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Colleen it is such a treat seeing all that you do with your gardens and pond. So much color! Love, love, love your cobble walkways too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep if it wasn't for Colleen doing all the cobbling I would prolly have never done it. That cobbling is hard work lifting all those rocks and trying to figure out just the right way each rock needs to fit. It is fun tho, kinda like making a big puzzle and I love to figure out and make things fit in place. I have always like to organize everything. Hubby lets it all get messed up and I organize it again.

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the thread you had your sick fish on but I have been wondering how the old fish is doing?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks to my small gathering of followers on this thread, I find you all give me much inspiration to go hard in the yard" cause you guys and gals are watching!!! :rolleyes:

I pound and dig them rocks into the ground, then sweep fine sand over cobble and press into groves to lock the rocks better. I find that the bigger rocks do not move so much and choose rocks that have a flat side to put up and dig the other side down into the dirt. If your soil has lots of sand, then your rocks will move lots. If your soil is heavy clay like mine, then once cobble is in place, soak the rocks and soil down with water and press and step them into ground good. The more you walk on the cobble, the flatter the rocks will become as well,

I am off tomorrow, so I am going to work more on the front cobble, get up extra early and go seek out more rocks from secret undisclosed location, and rush them home! It really helps to be seriously addicted to rocks, then working them rocks over is a pleasure! I have a deep passion for rocks and anything earthy like nice pieces of driftwood too.

Yes, I am addicted to my yard, and this is where I vacation too!! I am grounded and stuck to this town, leaving my yard and ponds is way too difficult, and panic sets in even if I have to leave just for a day or two. Who will watch the yard, pond and my big old puppies everyday like I do? I have a "schedule" for the old puppies, I like to drive to outskirts of town to walk puppies and gather rocks very early in the morning, before it gets too hot.
IMAG3947.jpg
IMAG3948.jpg
IMAG3941.jpg

The roses are blooming nice now too!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't know if this is the thread you had your sick fish on but I have been wondering how the old fish is doing?
That was a young smaller goldfish, and I think he got injured while spanning or something like a rock falling into the pond. The goldfish got fungus and I treated the whole pond with liquid pond peat, cause it is really good for the water and it is a natural fungicide. The fish is all heal now and even I was amazed cause there for a while I thought he was going to die for sure!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I always loved gardening, but after the hubby had his Cancer, and the stress we went through was horrible, I felt the need to create my own "Heaven here on Earth", cause life can be short, and how quickly time passes you by. It started with the Bug Free Zone last year for the hubby, so that he could have a nice private quiet place to relax and have coffee with me in the mornings, or a drink in the evening by the ponds. Then came the cobbling, and then I needed more flowers and larger beds. Gardening is a great therapeutic hobby that eases the mind and relaxes the body, and pleases the "eye" By the time I am done pounding rocks into the ground, one glass of red wine and man an I all relaxed!

Ask a Question