Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OH I am maddly in love with my front flower beds right now... They make me so very happy, the flowers greet me every day and I think my front flower bed has never ever looked better than it does right now!!
The vine has eaten the front of the house, and the two windows on each side are covered in vine, so when the puppies back out the window, it looks like the vine is barking!! Nice and cool from the heat so vine gets to stay for now....
IMAG3450.jpg
IMAG3454.jpg
IMAG3451.jpg
IMAG3457.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
wondering worried about my vegan sister, I read in the paper yesterday, "Gifford Jones, Doctor Game" weekly news column that I follow. Dr. Jones writes" strict vegetarians who eat no animal products may end up deficient in vitamin B12, Iron, Zinc and Calcium. He also writes that a lack of vitamin B12 may be linked to dementia. My strict, soon be to 51 years old vegan sister, who should be due to give birth any day, is talking crazy, like going out into the bush in the Cypress hills to give birth in "the wild"! She takes no supplements, has never seen a doctor, and plans to give birth alone, by her self! That sounds like dementia to me. She also appeared to be "dazed" or stunned" the other day when I saw her last. I cannot talk sense to her or her other two grown children who also are vegan. I cannot force her to get help or see a doctor either. We cannot sit down and eat a nice meal at my house cause I might have butter in the pan, or the pan was used to cook meat so they won't eat out of it.
I just pray everything works out good for her, and leave it in God's hands....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
She gonna do what she's gonna do Colleen. Not much you can do except be there for her is she needs you. I do hope the birth goes well and the baby is healthy. Just relax by your pond and wait to see if all goes well for her.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
yes, got to relax and what will be will be. I just hope she get help if she needs it. The guy that is the father is not involved as they do not get along. Tomorrow I am off, maybe I will stop by her shop and see how she is doing. Maybe I should just leave her be, cause if I say anything she will get all mad. Maybe I will just go see her youngest daughter who works at a nearby coffee shop and talk with her. The two oldest kids do not seem worried, but then they are vegan too and maybe not thinking clearly and maybe naive to the danger this pregnancy could pose to their older vegan mother. I maybe should warn them again and see if I can talk sense into her older girls who or about 19 and the other is 25 years old.

Tonight I was watering something by the pond, and splashed some water on these plug in lights and it caused the circuit to trip. Then I ran downstairs and reset the circuit breaker but then the two biggest pumps would not come back on. So then I cleaned the big filters that they were attached to in the dark, with a flashlight, and got the one to come back on and pump water, but the other still won't work. I unplugged it for now, as the ponds are still running good and it is just an extra pump I like to have going in the summer. If it does not work when I plug it back in by morning, then I will go thew my box of spare pumps and find another big pump to run. Over the years you tend to collect spare pumps and they do come in handy when you need them. I still have three other main pumps going and that will keep everything good till I get the other filter working again.
Darn plug in lights, got to get rid of them and get more solar!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My fish eat this grain free dog food that is made here in Alberta. I know it sounds crazy, but I think this dog food that I feed my old puppies is better than the over priced fish food, and fresher too. I have been feeding all the fish and my two oldest 22 years old koi this for at least 10 years if not more. They have to stay outside all winter, like they have since I got them 22 years ago, in freezing cold water under the ice, so I want them to have very fresh high fat food. I only get the puppy cause it has more fat, and I believe the high saturated fat is good for the old dogs and the old fish. The old dogs seem to do very well and are not overly fat like lots of dogs the same age, and they still run hard at the park. If you feed the older dogs low fat, they just end up eating more dog food cause it does not fill them up as long. Same with me, I eat lots of saturated fat like butter and co coconut oil cause I have to work really hard at work and in my garden, and low fat just makes me hungry again in a hour.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd try that food it they sold it here but I only have the goldfish. I'd have to bust it up w/ a hammer!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I checked and yep they sell it here at Jones & Co. pet shop. Wonder how much it is? Oh just looked on Amazon and it is $60. to $80.plus for almost 30 lbs. Too much for me and my hammer!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I recommend you not feed them any dog food made in China. Best to choose grain free and high fat puppy chow, and something local if possible as local is fresher always. Lets not forget that farmed fish have high levels of mercury cause of the fish food they feed them!!

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
you just need the smallest bag cause a small bag is way bigger than the high priced koi food. Pound per pound, the high priced dog food is still cheaper than the high priced koi food.
That bag cost me only 18 dollars and it is big compared to a 100 dollar bag of high priced koi food! After the season I feed the rest to the puppies, so next year they get all fresh again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not worth if for me cuz I'd have to chop it all up for my little fishies all the time and store it in the freezer or somewhere to keep it fresh for a long time. I don't have the big koi mouths to feed like you do. I see tho what you mean as the real koi food is very expensive so it is good for feeding the big koi that eat a lot.

Ask a Question