Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
http://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.com/Stainless_Steel_Gazing_Globe_p/ssggss.htm

@j.w , I found these big ones on line and they also have smaller sizes. They mention they float, so wonder if that means no holes / nipples ? Kind of pricey.
Wow! These guys have colored ones!! Gold too! Would love to have a gold 22" one.... I got a "Steel of a deal" on my 20 inch one, was only $120. Canadian! Will have to bug them guys Rite Downtown Garden Cente, to find where they got mine and see if they will reveal their source!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow! These guys have colored ones!! Gold too! Would love to have a gold 22" one.... I got a "Steel of a deal" on my 20 inch one, was only $120. Canadian! Will have to bug them guys Rite Downtown Garden Cente, to find where they got mine and see if they will reveal their source!

Hey good idea @callingcolleen1 maybe the place they ordered from have a connection in the U.S too?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Last night was just soooo beautiful! The solar lanterns swayed so nice back and forth, hypnotically putting me off to sleep. It was warm and humid, felt like I was out in sitting by some magical flowing river in the wee hours of the early morning .... it even sounded like I was sitting by some flowing river last night!!
I think this is my best night shot ever!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Colleen, your pond water really looks clean and your fish look healthy and happy. What are you using for filtration?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen, your pond water really looks clean and your fish look healthy and happy. What are you using for filtration?

It's not just the filters that keep my pond so clean. Its many factors. My four connecting ponds all run together, like a river or stream, so all the waste mostly goes down stream, threw large old floating yellow Flag (true water Iris) and that helps before dumping into bottom pond. Then I never clean my ponds, just the filters, and just net the bottom of pond in spring and fall as needed. (Ponds balanced better that way) I also leave the main pumps and underwater filters run year round. That makes a very big difference! Been running ponds since 1991, and during sone real cold winters where I saw below minus 40 tenps for days. My first two oldest koi have been outside since I first put them in pond well over 24 years ago. Plus my water temps are cooler, rarely above 70 degrees, perfect for cold water fish like Koi and Goldfish.

I run my filters before the pumps, large underwater filters, (best to use underwater filters for extreme winter) and I have them doubled up and on bigger pumps I use a "T" and then get better flow.

Attachments

• 20160711_120645_HDR.jpg
    20160711_120645_HDR.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20160711_120658_HDR.jpg
    20160711_120658_HDR.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 124

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Did I also mention I never do water changes either? I just add fresh water in small amounts almost every day as needed to keep bottom pond topped up.
I know I do everything different than most people, including the high quality dog food that I feed the Koi.
Everything I do is totally different that what most do, including the pond design... Flows from pond to pond like a river, as most people have ponds designed like a lake.

Ask a Question