Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Colleen, Your thread is getting really entertaining! "My goldfish pond" thread misses you and wants you back! I told you I didn't mind sharing...I'll guess the cleanest water gets green the fastest and the dirtiest one doesn't get green at all.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You guys are most likely right! It will be interesting to see the different changes. I used to do these little experiments before long ago. I might put little tiny guppies in the jars that seem to balance in a few days and see what happens then. I used to grow hornwort and duckweed in jars before. My guess is the tap water jar and jar with tap and a plants will go green.

The muck wasn't from the very bottom of river this time cause the was river is rising again, spring run off from mountains and stuff, river came up couple feet since yesterday or so.
Which reminds me, I took a shot of the river and the bridge that I used to go under to get muck before. There was two twin bridges just last year, but one bridge was real old and the city had hired contractor company to take old bridge down and bulld new bridge. Well they got the old one down last year and started building the structure to new bridge, but the company went broke and no work has been done since last fall. They left equipment and big round things and stuff on the man made dirt bridge that spans half way across the river. Now the spring flooding is starting, and river is rapidly swallowing up the man made dirt bridge with equipment on it and no one seems to be moving anything! Its going to start floating away downstream soon! Here is a couple pictures of river yesterday, the bucket was there to get dirt. Will monitor situation at river and update you later. :)

Attachments

• IMAG1643.jpg
    IMAG1643.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMAG1640.jpg
    IMAG1640.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 283

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Finally had time to read your thread, great ponds! Would be cool if you could somehow take a picture of all 3 together, I don't think I would want to type on this site from a tablet, very good job! I like all the info you are sharing especially for noobs like me. And I thought I got used to cold, but I think your weather would bother me, we've been getting spoiled here last winter. I think they even switched us to just zone 5 now, used to be on the border of 4/5. You would think someone would salvage the equipment on the dirt bridge, hopefully it doesn't get washed downstream.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I moved from NJ winters for slightly warmer weather but not this warm close to 90 here again .I guess every place you live has faults you have to get past .Your either freezing or frying .Jw that tap water may depend on what is in the water ,we all know now that well water is so different from place to place ,plus shallow well verses deep well ,plus the house filter you have .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Every one should set up little jars and see what works for them. Everyone's water it different, everyone situation is different, be your own mad scientist and see what works for you!

Weather here sucks, rains like every day, what was the big yellow ball in the sky called again? haven't seen it for long time, maybe you down south could quit hogging it huh!

Got new black wood chips for around pond, shot some photos of koi and goldfish from middle pond. :)

Attachments

• IMAG1624.jpg
    IMAG1624.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 304
  • IMAG1590.jpg
    IMAG1590.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMAG1549.jpg
    IMAG1549.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAG1546.jpg
    IMAG1546.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMAG1540.jpg
    IMAG1540.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 267

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll just let you do the experiments w/ the water jars and I'll watch for the outcome. It rains here all the time too. Your not too far from here Colleen, just down towards the border close to the states above Idaho or so right?

What kind of tree makes black wood chips? It looks quite nice.
Pretty fish watching you close and the one white one w/ black looks like he's mad at you for taking his picture!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'll just let you do the experiments w/ the water jars and I'll watch for the outcome. It rains here all the time too. Your not too far from here Colleen, just down towards the border close to the states above Idaho or so right?

What kind of tree makes black wood chips? It looks quite nice.
Pretty fish watching you close and the one white one w/ black looks like he's mad at you for taking his picture!
cedar wood chips that are colored. There cheap and its easier to get poppy's chocolate logs off the wood chips than the grass!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep have seen wood chips here now dyed pink ,yellow and even orange and you can buy concentrated dye you add water to and redye your mulch and it is 100 % safe .I used to be able to buy it at my local garden center but they have not been able to get it this year so far .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Today, last 2 jars show good signs of change. Second last jar with tap water, mud/peat mix, a rock and plants have cleared and look better, last jar with pondwater, sludge, plants, a rock and leaf litter looks clear too. No noticable change in first three jars. Have not had any sun to speak of since experiment commenced. Note to file: the plants are hornwort and duckweed.

Rained all morning, Poppy wanted outside, but when I opened the door she wouldn't go out, why? She loves to swim in the river, but when its raining she just refuses to go out

Goldie the biggest koi insisted that she be posted on the thread again, she wanted you to see the shadow of the choke cherry tree above her, she says its dropping all kinds of tree stuff into the pond this week but water and pond still look good, stuff just settled and went away!

If anyone wants to come over for tea, I put the tea pot out and I will make sure nothing bugs you!

I know its kinda early, but I thought I caught a glimpse of Grampa Stumpity Bumpity lurking by the pond this morning!

Attachments

• IMAG1667.jpg
    IMAG1667.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMAG1688.jpg
    IMAG1688.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMAG1690.jpg
    IMAG1690.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMAG1681.jpg
    IMAG1681.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 293

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aha so that's what stumpity looks like and I presume he turns up in many different places throughout the year,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I finally started new lotus plants from seed after something stole my other ones .Can you grow lotus where you are at colleen .Wanted to know are those jars in shade all day or part shade sun ,that is if you ever get sun and wouldn't temps also effect what grows or what water will clear up .

Ask a Question