water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And mine was a small snapper, but it sure can hurt. Rather run into the snakes that came next than a snapper.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
That's why you should envision yourself with LPS and make it LARGE enough so you can swim in it. I mean, fishies don't nibble THAT much!!! Just ask @addy1 ! :p

All bets are off though if you get a snapper; should see the video of addy scooting out of the pond when THAT happens! Course, in your case, you'll have to fend off the gators, too, I imagine...! :love:
LOL!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have still pics, need to find the cam video, somewhere. It was a small one sure surprised me when I ran across it. Moved to a big farm pond
IMG_3514.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks for the pics Addy…I had a seven acre pond in the Adirondacks and the snappers would come up to the cabin to lay eggs. Lots of babies…so cute…

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
The guy who might be building my pond (I am 69 yo woman that feels 79 and can't do what I used to) says that it can't be deeper than 2 1/2 feet because of the ground water level here....He says that the hiding spots, moving water, and plants will keep it from getting too warm.... How deep is your pond SarahT?
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Yes, my pond is 3 feet deep, and is 9x9 feet, plus a 2.5x7x1 foot bog. DO put in a bog, as the sun down here is intense and the algae (regular green stuff) loves the light, even in a pond with floating plants and a decent biofilter. The forum group will laugh, nicely, as I was skeptical of the bog. No longer. I'm a convert. The bog is wonderful for water quality and I love the plants in it. At 3 feet deep, my pond is above the water table (by a couple of feet, I think), and I put the pond top about 5 inches above the surrounding yard to prevent runoff potentially flooding in. Turns out it is very sandy soil that drains quickly, so it doesn't need the extra height, but it's a good idea. If you want 4 feet, potentially, you could build up a foot tall berm on the surrounding surface. You will probably want extra aeration in the summer, which I need to improve on, and add some additional shade. My fish (1 koi and initially, 3 goldfish ... oh dear, baby goldfish available!) were struggling a bit in the hottest of the summer (very slow moving) with low oxygen, I think; the air stone helped. We moved down last year from Chicago and I'm hoping it's true that we acclimate to the summers here. And, knock on wood, I haven't had a snapping turtle or a gator. Ask any questions you like! EDIT: Definitely hiding places and a net!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Yes, my pond is 3 feet deep, and is 9x9 feet, plus a 2.5x7x1 foot bog. DO put in a bog, as the sun down here is intense and the algae (regular green stuff) loves the light, even in a pond with floating plants and a decent biofilter. The forum group will laugh, nicely, as I was skeptical of the bog. No longer. I'm a convert. The bog is wonderful for water quality and I love the plants in it. At 3 feet deep, my pond is above the water table (by a couple of feet, I think), and I put the pond top about 5 inches above the surrounding yard to prevent runoff potentially flooding in. Turns out it is very sandy soil that drains quickly, so it doesn't need the extra height, but it's a good idea. If you want 4 feet, potentially, you could build up a foot tall berm on the surrounding surface. You will probably want extra aeration in the summer, which I need to improve on, and add some additional shade. My fish (1 koi and initially, 3 goldfish ... oh dear, baby goldfish available!) were struggling a bit in the hottest of the summer (very slow moving) with low oxygen, I think; the air stone helped. We moved down last year from Chicago and I'm hoping it's true that we acclimate to the summers here. And, knock on wood, I haven't had a snapping turtle or a gator. Ask any questions you like! EDIT: Definitely hiding places and a net!
Thank you SarahT...Great info...I really want to do a bog filter this time but didn't know if it would cause more mosquitoes here in FL? I would love to see pics of your pond...Did you post any?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you SarahT...Great info...I really want to do a bog filter this time but didn't know if it would cause more mosquitoes here in FL? I would love to see pics of your pond...Did you post any?
Also, does your bog filter keep your water pretty clear or is that impossible here due to the warm summer weather? The pics of ponds I have seen here all have cloudy water:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Also, does your bog filter keep your water pretty clear or is that impossible here due to the warm summer weather? The pics of ponds I have seen here all have cloudy water:(
My water is clear and I can see the bottom. It was pretty clear in the summer with a lot of plants and a biofilter, but cleared completely when I got the bog done on September 1 and removed the biofilter. I dug 90% of the pond (my initial helper wasn't much help) in October and added the bog in August. The pond is sunny all morning until 12:30, it could use more shade. It was a hot summer of work! The pond still needs some final cosmetic work. My advice - do the pond and the bog at the same time using a single liner.
I have water lilies in the pond (they've died back since it's fall, even in Florida) and a lot of submerged plants. The center of my pond is 3 feet deep, with 12-18" deep shelves around the edges and the bog is in the back of the pond as seen in these photo's. The bog is planted with papyrus, rush, elephant ear, canna lily, purple queen, iris, and a sweet potato vine (hmm. Maybe I need a bigger bog? what think you, Addy?). The pond is netted, though the bog is not (I took off the net for the photo's).
NO mosquitoes, because the water is constantly moving through the bog ("Up flow wetland filter", really) and the fish eat any skeeters that go near the pond. There are also lots of toads, frogs, bats, dragonflies, birds and anole lizards that go after the mosquitoes.
After a more natural pond shape when I lived in Chicago, I decided to do a more formal shape here, as my back yard has almost no slope and I didn't want to build up a waterfall area.
My suggestion: have your pond within a fenced area, and think of it exactly like a pool,for safety.
I'm happy to answer any more questions whenever you have them.

Attachments

• Sarah pond 10 2021 gfp 2.JPG
    Sarah pond 10 2021 gfp 2.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 21
  • sarahs pond 10 221 gpf 2.JPG
    sarahs pond 10 221 gpf 2.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 22
Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like Sarah said; mosquitoes don't like moving water, so...you're cleared for bog duty!! :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My water is clear and I can see the bottom. It was pretty clear in the summer with a lot of plants and a biofilter, but cleared completely when I got the bog done on September 1 and removed the biofilter. I dug 90% of the pond (my initial helper wasn't much help) in October and added the bog in August. The pond is sunny all morning until 12:30, it could use more shade. It was a hot summer of work! The pond still needs some final cosmetic work. My advice - do the pond and the bog at the same time using a single liner.
I have water lilies in the pond (they've died back since it's fall, even in Florida) and a lot of submerged plants. The center of my pond is 3 feet deep, with 12-18" deep shelves around the edges and the bog is in the back of the pond as seen in these photo's. The bog is planted with papyrus, rush, elephant ear, canna lily, purple queen, iris, and a sweet potato vine (hmm. Maybe I need a bigger bog? what think you, Addy?). The pond is netted, though the bog is not (I took off the net for the photo's).
NO mosquitoes, because the water is constantly moving through the bog ("Up flow wetland filter", really) and the fish eat any skeeters that go near the pond. There are also lots of toads, frogs, bats, dragonflies, birds and anole lizards that go after the mosquitoes.
After a more natural pond shape when I lived in Chicago, I decided to do a more formal shape here, as my back yard has almost no slope and I didn't want to build up a waterfall area.
My suggestion: have your pond within a fenced area, and think of it exactly like a pool,for safety.
I'm happy to answer any more questions whenever you have them.
Thank you for this information SarahT and the pics of your pond. You did a really nice job on it:) The water looks nice and clear which I have been worried about due to the heat and sunshine here....I really appreciate all the details you added (plants that do well here in the bog, ect) This forum is priceless!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@rubyduby just wondering if you completed your pond construction? We moved to NE FL late last year and now am planning a pond. Heat and high water table is an issue but can be mitigated. For quick shade for a pond, bananas are a good option but would note you should install a barrier between it and the pond to make sure it does not have pups too close to the liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
@rubyduby just wondering if you completed your pond construction? We moved to NE FL late last year and now am planning a pond. Heat and high water table is an issue but can be mitigated. For quick shade for a pond, bananas are a good option but would note you should install a barrier between it and the pond to make sure it does not have pups too close to the liner.
Yes, it is finished and has exceeded my expectations..it is home to seven shubunkins and a curly tail lizard…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 13
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question