Pool to Pond 2013

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sandy, small world it is. We are in central Iowa. South of Marshalltown. It will be my first winter with my first pond as well. It will be interesting to see how our ponds fair in our zone 5 winters.
Beautiful collection of lilies.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
callingcolleen1 said:
Sandy, your lilys are just one of the best collections that I have seen! Yes, get the white lily, white shows up nice in the evening! :)
Awe, thanks! I was really happy with the colors since it is really hard to know exactly what they will look like when you order them online. I will definitely get a white one next Spring, then I think I will have enough. We still need to get some sort of lighting so we can see the pond at night too.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Brice said:
I think this is the best pond in all of them which I see on the forum because you have every thing prefect and like pre-planned. the plants, stones and fishes what a great combination. I see many ponds which have all these thing but they don't look nice like this because they are not well organized like your pond. Thanks for sharing this awesome photos.
Wow, that is quite a compliment; thanks! I am actually quite surprised it turned out this well because I just kept putting things together as I went, and a lot of it was NOT planned. We had a lot of fun along the way, and I bet next summer it will change some more. I think the lilies and marginal plants really set it off.

I'll be posting a few more photos in the next couple days of the pond right now. It looks a lot different because the plants are starting to die back and the lily pads are turning yellow. I suppose each season will bring it's own unique beauty. I will be wading in soon to prune everything back. Good thing I just got some chest waders; that water is COLD!!

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
haver79 said:
Sandy, small world it is. We are in central Iowa. South of Marshalltown. It will be my first winter with my first pond as well. It will be interesting to see how our ponds fair in our zone 5 winters.
Beautiful collection of lilies.
Thanks! I was really happy with the lily colors. I had a friend from Marshaltown!

Yep, I'm anxious to see how everything fares over winter. Spring will be so exciting!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
joesandy1822 said:
"Wanvisa"
52i1wn.jpg
Love your pond, beautiful!!!

If I'm not mistaken, this lilly name is Thai and it means the day of the Buddha. In Thailand during 'Visa khabucha' day, we use lotus flowers to pay respect to Buddha as it represent purity and knowledge. Wan = day and 'Visa' is a short for 'Visa khabucha'. :)

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nepen said:
Love your pond, beautiful!!!

If I'm not mistaken, this lilly name is Thai and it means the day of the Buddha. In Thailand during 'Visa khabucha' day, we use lotus flowers to pay respect to Buddha as it represent purity and knowledge. Wan = day and 'Visa' is a short for 'Visa khabucha'. :)
Wow, that's really interesting! I always wondered about the name since it is so unusual, but it never even dawned on me that it was from another culture. Thanks for sharing, and for the compliment!

I love lotus flowers! I might get a lotus for next season, but they do spread a lot and I think I would be pushing my space limit . . . but I might try it anyway! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No problem :) It could also be entirely different too, I was just guessing, but it sounds really Thai to me.

joesandy1822 said:
Wow, that's really interesting! I always wondered about the name since it is so unusual, but it never even dawned on me that it was from another culture. Thanks for sharing, and for the compliment!

I love lotus flowers! I might get a lotus for next season, but they do spread a lot and I think I would be pushing my space limit . . . but I might try it anyway! :)

Ask a Question