Post your yard and pond visitors

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have mountain chickadees here, but they're spotty. Some years we have lots of them and the last couple they've been very rare. They're a real favorite of mine as well, cheery, bold and given to grab it and go feeding tactics, which can make getting photos challenging! Often, when filling one of the feeders, several will be on my hand or next to it. I miss them, as I've only seen 4 or 5 so far this year.

View attachment 117117

I kind of "cheat" to get photos, I have several stumps and dead small trees on stands that I can place in front of the kitchen window as "posing" benches. They have hidden feeders to attract the birds.
How do you get your camera to take the pic thru the window?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thought i had lost these pics this little tree frog was crazy with his color changes. These two are pretty much just shade variations but even still.
SAJ_4393.JPG
SAJ_4448.JPG

Ad

Advertisements

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are they escapees that have naturalized?
Believed to have either escaped or were intentionally released from a breeder in the Chicago area. Population is expanding in this area. There are also known pockets of them in other parts of the U.S.

I'm nervous about the issues they may cause when competing with native birds for the same resources, but I do love seeing them around. One of the most stunning birds I see at the feeders!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Believed to have either escaped or were intentionally released from a breeder in the Chicago area. Population is expanding in this area. There are also known pockets of them in other parts of the U.S.

I'm nervous about the issues they may cause when competing with native birds for the same resources, but I do love seeing them around. One of the most stunning birds I see at the feeders!
To my limited knowledge and experience I don't think they're a particularly boisterous or aggressive species and their natural food would be quite abundant so I would assume they would slot in pretty well. We have a similar issue here with the ring knecked parakeet that has started to establish itself in parts of the country originally after escaping from private collections.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A pair of ducks showed up yesterday and came back today. Managed a few shots today, always a treat when they show up.

Bath Time by A & R Photography, on Flickr
I heard one outside my window the other morning before I got up. Guessing it was in my pond. Waiting to see if it comes back.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'm frantically keeping the ducks OFF my pond. We suspect that our fish die-off issue last year was a parasite problem and worry that it may have come from the visiting ducks. So last year I was all "awwwww ducks! Let me get a picture!" and this year I'm "DUCKS! LET THE DOGS OUT!" haha!

@JBtheExplorer we're seeing a lot of European goldfinches as well on our feeder. I think it was maybe two years ago I was stunned when I saw one - now we see a half dozen or more at a time every day.

Ask a Question