Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was wallowing around in the pond today, doing some pre-winter cutting & trimming, and look who I found!! How cute & adorable is s/he??
red spotted newt 01.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This owl snatched something lower right side of the picture, near the bush. It looks like a small fish. Too cold to be a snake, it is 29f right now. You can see something in its beak. Seems to be wiggling.
Almost thought I would need to save it. Put up deer fencing on the bog side, the net is finally falling apart and the heron would have a good time snacking from the edge. But it walked the bog wall both ways then walked out the end to the right and flew away.

It is sitting on a piece of pvc that is holding the pond breather in one spot. Under the net.
owl.JPG
owl1.JPG
owl2.JPG
owl3.JPG

owl4.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This owl snatched something lower right side of the picture, near the bush. It looks like a small fish. Too cold to be a snake, it is 29f right now. You can see something in its beak. Seems to be wiggling.
Almost thought I would need to save it. Put up deer fencing on the bog side, the net is finally falling apart and the heron would have a good time snacking from the edge. But it walked the bog wall both ways then walked out the end to the right and flew away.

It is sitting on a piece of pvc that is holding the pond breather in one spot. Under the net. View attachment 125328View attachment 125329View attachment 125330View attachment 125331

View attachment 125333

Wow!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen the owl down there off and on. That is the first time I watched it grab something. I need to replace the net next year. My wide weave is finally falling apart. I am so pleased it did not get stuck. Watched it walk both ways then turn around and walk right out. The right side end near the bog is wide open, not heron open but open for others. Would hate for it to be hurt.

The opossum came by to do bee clean up.
poss.JPG

Better watch sticking it nose into the hives!
poss1.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat pix @addy1 but sorry the owl got your fish. At least it's not a fish hog like the heron!
I have plenty, was just guessing it was a fish. With the cold I doubt a frog was hanging out. That is why my guess a small fish was up near the surface. Just a bit of population control.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are great tick eaters! I encourage them to hang out.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I always try to make sure to fill the feeders when it snows. After filling, I wasn't even able to walk away from the feeders before a chickadee landed on one. Now, I've got a bunch of woodpeckers and finches out there.

IMG_4064 copy.jpg

B

Burd

Snow today, around 6-8 prob, the birds and squirrels are happy to find food. Also, I forgot about the bird bath heater, put it in this afternoon, I just noticed, 5-6 doves getting drinks before bed.

5DBB1CD3-7D2F-4156-80AB-282360C228D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question