addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are all over our area. We have a lot of mating pairs hanging out in our woods. Well our woods are really critter woods.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We cleaned our siding and I think the cleaner damaged our holografic decals the have done a good job of keeping birds from hitting windows. Had 2 birds hit within an hour , this small woodpecker and a mourning dove. Dove flew off but this guy stayed in a carrier for an hour before I was able to release him. My kitties thought I ordered out for lunch!
1113191148.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you were able to save the poor bird. Better get those decals back up quick like! Temporarily hang some flashy type ribbon or cd disks. Anything shiny!

B

Burd

You can buy self cling decals, they are like seen in ultra violet light to birds. I put a set on by bay and no more hitting. I need a couple more sets out back. It’s like $8 a set. I gt the ones that look like leaves. Your bird feed stores should have them or can order them for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need ones I can use on the inside of the windows. No way to reach our windows from the outside. Not sure if the uv ones work from the inside

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can buy self cling decals, they are like seen in ultra violet light to birds. I put a set on by bay and no more hitting. I need a couple more sets out back. It’s like $8 a set. I gt the ones that look like leaves. Your bird feed stores should have them or can order them for you.

Those are the ones I have up. They have been working great but I think the siding cleaner may have damaged them. Off to Amazon for another set.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am the window washer, they are stationary windows. The bottom of the windows are from 8 to 6 feet from the ground. The windows are 8 feet tall. And on a steep slope that goes down to the basement door and down in front also. I dislike heights, dislike being on a ladder, and it takes a fully extended latter to even reach the top of the big windows.

We have some work to do on the bottom of them the siding came off that was installed.
windows.JPG

window1.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh @addy1 you are brave! You need to finish that deck area outside so you have a place to stand on the ladder.
Not me, windows would just stay dirty or hire someone to do it, yikes!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gosh @addy1 you are brave! You need to finish that deck area outside so you have a place to stand on the ladder.
Not me, windows would just stay dirty or hire someone to do it, yikes!
I use a real long pole and a scrubber. Window wash stuff you spray on with the garden hose, scrub a bit then rinse. Works pretty good.

B

Burd

I just saw a chipmunk still out, I’ve never seen one out this late , we got like 10” of snow last Monday, I’m surprised he’s still out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read they don't but they hunker down in there underground dens:

Where Do Chipmunks Go During Cold Weather?

Chipmunks spend spring and summer building tunnels that extend deep into the ground. They collect enough food to last several months and then move to the lowest chambers in their burrows.

When Do Chipmunks Hibernate?

While not in true hibernation, chipmunks do enter a state of rest to conserve energy. From late fall to early spring, they spend the majority of their time sleeping underground. On warm days, chipmunks may wake to forage for food outside.

Ask a Question