Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
The have now discovered Hares with the myxomatosis virus in Europe, I cannot even imagine the consequences for the Hare population if it spreads, as their numbers have already dwindled enough in a lot of areas. Myxomatosis killed millions of rabbits over the years, I came across some infected rabbits years ago, and it a horrible way for any animal to suffer. I don't think anyone considered the long term affects when it was spread intentionally in some countries. It is sad that hares may now have to deal with it also.

Ours have a problem also, some have fleas that carry bubonic plague!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ours have a problem also, some have fleas that carry bubonic plague!
It seems fleas and mosquitos, are the ultimate carriers of sickness for many species. It's always the worry that these things spread, no matter the distance. I can't even remember the last time I've seen a jack rabbit, and they are amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We hear owls really often, in the late evening and early morning, sometimes 5 or 6 distinctive different owls. We have never seen them though. On the other hand, we have a large pine tree about 20' from our house that is a regular perch for bald eagles. Often, it is raining fins or feathers here, as they pluck and discard unwanteds. We had to fence off that area to keep our dog from eating and rolling in the parts! Several ravens harassing this one, finally drove it off.

9270 bald eagle with fish.jpg

Why are they called "bald" eagles? Well, it seems that bald used to mean white headed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh my gosh. You guys. I have wrens and sparrows on my bird feeder and get all verklempt. If I had an EAGLE in my yard I would be over the moon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Oh my gosh. You guys. I have wrens and sparrows on my bird feeder and get all verklempt. If I had an EAGLE in my yard I would be over the moon!

Maybe you be a little less enthusiastic if you had to fish hundreds of feathers out of your pond 3 or 4 times a month! We have Agency lake about 1000' away and they catch many large fish and a lot of ducks. This is one of their favorite spots to have a meal. At least they leave my fish alone, the pond is only about 75' from the tree.

raining feathers 7522.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
WOW! Yeah, maybe I would grow tired of it... but it would take a LOOOOONG time! It's kind of like how we feel about deer around here - there are so many and to us they are both a road hazard and a landscape hazard. But people who aren't from around here will pull over to watch them graze in cornfields. It's all what you're used to I guess!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see the Eagles a lot here and people really appreciate when they don't build a nest in the trees on their property if they want to cut down trees. Timber companies are the ones most effected as you cannot disturb w/in 660ft of nesting Eagles. I love seeing them fly over and when you see them walking on the ground not too far away it is amazing at how large they are! I get so excited it gives me chills!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
A few years ago, shortly after we bought this place, I was working on the roof, right on the ridgeline. An eagle swooped out of that tree and went over me at about 8 or 10 feet. That certainly startled me and I was glad I wasn't near the edge!

Ask a Question