JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Saw a Great-horned owl in one of my trees the other day. It flew away after being attacked by either a starling or red-winged blackbird. I think it was a starling because they nest in a hole near where the owl was.

I've also been seeing raccoons a lot lately. I think they were messing around by the pond the other night because a small pot was tipped over in the pond.

This morning I saw this toad by one of my small native gardens.

IMG_5568 copy.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had rain most of yesterday but it cleared late in the day. Mr. or Mrs. Barred owl must have been really hungry because he appeared on the fence while I was in the yard. It's uncommon to see this much activity from them (in the daylight) so I always have to remind myself to breathe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ieUnge8W4JEqAuB6
IMG_0007 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I was walking in the backyard and mistakenly scared a great-horned owl from my neighbors tree. Then I look in my other neighbor's yard and see this second great-horned owl staring at me. They've been around a lot lately.

View attachment 151054
I am so jealous! I miss the pair I had at my old home up in the Adirindacks! I would sit out every night for hours just to hear their calls….

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
We had rain most of yesterday but it cleared late in the day. Mr. or Mrs. Barred owl must have been really hungry because he appeared on the fence while I was in the yard. It's uncommon to see this much activity from them (in the daylight) so I always have to remind myself to breathe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ieUnge8W4JEqAuB6
View attachment 151056View attachment 151057
Wow, the barred have the best calls (in my opinion:) I would be ecstatic seeing them in the daytime! Lucky you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, the barred have the best calls (in my opinion:) I would be ecstatic seeing them in the daytime! Lucky you!
Oh it is just thrilling for me to see or hear them! And that they are right in my yard sometimes!! Wow :cool: I'm always just amazed at my good luck.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How great! They're probably around more than you expect. I hope you're able to get more photos of them :)

Oh, I'm aware how many are around! They nest in the woods near my house every year. This time of year we tend to see more in the neighborhood because the little ones are at the point of flying, and I guess they like venturing over into our backyards.

I get an opportunity to photograph them a few times a year. My favorite was this one a couple years ago. I looked up in my tree and it was right above me.
IMG_2688 copy.jpg

but I also saw this young one in the woods about 5 years ago. Definitely a moment I won't forget.
gho.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Your photography is AMAZING!!! That picture allowed us all to bask in the glory of nature at its finest! I am blown away....Please keep them coming:)

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question