addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When our huge maple died right next to the pond, I had it cut back, but left some nice tall trunks for the birds. Our hawks love it, always sitting there trying to get frogs etc. I am taking the pic through our windows so a bit of reflection going on. the last picture I outlined the tree in red, they do love it! Always have one there, they fly as soon as I open a door.
IMG_4013 (2).JPG
IMG_4018 (2).JPG
IMG_4021 (2).JPG
IMG_4023 (2).JPG
Inkednvr travel_west pond_main_20210330112222_@3_LI.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Late yesterday afternoon we were just sitting down to relax after a day of yard/pond chores (divided & repotting all the waterlilies, etc...) when we had a wonderful surprise visitor - first Wally (rat snake) of the season! He was obviously hunting around the pond edge & nearby gardens, and hung around entertaining us for well over half an hour before disappearing off into the foliage. :love: (I'll put in thumbnail pics instead of full size images to save those of you that aren't fans of all things that slither)
Wally by the pond 03.jpg
Wally by the pond 02.jpg
Wally by the pond 04.jpg
Wally by the pond 05.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my snakes, don't see them very often a lot of places to hide. The only one I am concerned with is the copperhead we saw on the driveway last year. They say they will be out in force eating the cicada. Will need to really watch out for our pups.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love my snakes, don't see them very often a lot of places to hide. The only one I am concerned with is the copperhead we saw on the driveway last year. They say they will be out in force eating the cicada. Will need to really watch out for our pups.
We see them out in front of the house a lot (we have a long natural stacked stone wall that everyone uses as their snake condominium), but seeing them for more than a fleeting moment out in the yard & in the garden is rather unusual. It was so fun watching him casually motoring around.
We have TONS of copperheads here & we catch/relocate as many as we can well away from the house. They usually aren't a problem during the day as they tend to be more nocturnal, especially in the warmer weather, but I'm careful to check the area before taking the dogs out at night. We've worked on it a lot & the dogs all have a pretty good default 'leave it' when it comes to snakes, but the copperhead camouflage is so good they can accidently step on one & not even know it's there. Never hurts to be extra careful.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine were here awhile back when it was still very cold outside. Haven't seen them since. I think I should just go ahead and put them out there anyways as they must be around here some where. If you build it they will come right?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None here yet feeder has been up for a few weeks.

Ask a Question