Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, my, yesterday was a wild ride around here. We're on just over 10 acres (mostly heavily forested) with about half of that area run with 4' high plastic deer mesh fence to keep our dogs on the property when we're out & about in the 'yard' area. Well, just after lunchtime we heard a strange noise. I finally saw a tiny fawn toddling into a wooded area in between our house, garage & yard area. He continued his intermittent bawling, but we couldn't find him because he would get quiet if we got anywhere near. Finally, my husband was able to track him down & I was able to get a blanket thrown over him & carry him outside of our fenced area (two of my dogs would kill a fawn if they found it, so we *really* needed to evict him!!) Half an hour later, both he & Mama were BACK inside the fence! (seriously??? WTF???) So we again caught & hoisted him over the fence, reinforced the perimeter in that area & hoped for the best. So far, so good!
Bambi adventure 02.jpg

Bambi adventure 03.jpg

First time we got him situated outside of the fence.
Bambi adventure 04.jpg

Second time we hoisted him over the fence, he once again played "if I don't move, you can't see me"
Bambi adventure 05.jpg

This at least answers the question of who has been wreaking havoc on my pond plants in the upper pool lately. We set up the game camera & caught these images of Mama Deer the evening before:
dastardly deer 01.JPG

Yeah, that's right - Just keeeeeeeep chewin'! (Brat!) LOL
dastardly deer 03.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've heard about quite a few fawns being born in people's yards lately and the standard advice is to leave them alone, Mama will come back for them.

Well, on Next Door this lady posted a fawn was born in her yard ( she didn't know it ) and her dog found it. The dog wasn't too big but the Mama came charging towards it, kicking it...to protect it's fawn. Sadly the dog died of the injuries sustained from being kicked in the head.

B

Burd

last spring, she dropped one off every morning, I was playing with it just before she came back to pick it up. Lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just walked out to my garden, it's nearly entirely dark. Enough light to see where I was going, but not much more than that. I walk up to the edge of my garden and hear a noise and see a deer casually jog out of the garden. I'm not sure how I was able to get so close without it leaving sooner. It looked at me for a bit before heading into the neighbor's yard.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
New snake friend. Came to visit in the garage we are working on. Disappeared behind a shelf a bit later a toad came out leaping further than I have ever see them leap, and fast! Around the corner and into the plants. I bet snakey tried to eat it.
IMG_4203 (2).JPG
IMG_4205 (2).JPG
IMG_4206 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cant say i know many ladies that enjoy a snakes company..... cool EVEN MY FROGS AT THE POND LET ME COME RIGHT UP TO THEM like within inches they know im not a threat.
SAJ_7049.jpg
SAJ_7056.jpg
SAJ_7108.jpg
SAJ_7117.jpg
SAJ_7344.jpg
SAJ_7444.jpg
SAJ_7479.jpg
SAJ_7552.jpg
SAJ_7751.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The green frogs and toads never hop away, the occasional bullfrog moves quick. I have not had any of them in a few years. Snakey in the garage just sort of looked at us then left.

Ask a Question