Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Terrible picture (he wasn't into sitting still & posing for a picture) but yesterday we found a little salamander under some leaves in the spring that flows through our property!! Nasty cold is moving in this week, so he'd better hunker down under the mud & stay there!
salamander 01+.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I woke up today to an owl sitting on the popup tent by the pond. After a bit it hopped down to the lotus tub to watch the goldfish trying hard to hide in a flower pot. Then as usual, the crows showed up to harass him/her and off it went to the trees next door where it often sleeps. 🦉 All goldfish were present and accounted for once it left. Owl shopping for goldfish
P1110241 (1).jpg

Attachments

• P1110294.jpg
    P1110294.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P1110281.jpg
    P1110281.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
I woke up today to an owl sitting on the popup tent by the pond. After a bit it hopped down to the lotus tub to watch the goldfish trying hard to hide in a flower pot. Then as usual, the crows showed up to harass him/her and off it went to the trees next door where it often sleeps. 🦉 All goldfish were present and accounted for once it left. Owl shopping for goldfish
View attachment 162290

Here on the Piedmont at my house ... I have been hearing an owl. But the tree foliage is so dense that I am unable to spot it visually. I love knowing it is there, but also grateful that my pond is screened ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 162290
ready to send a camera to @Hound Heaven so i can have a great shot to add

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Hound Heaven wondering if an owl can carry a cat away? My neighbor up the road says he saw his cat up on a wooden railing and then heard an owl maybe and thinks the owl took his cat. Could this happen, it was a small cat. No signs of any fight w/fur on ground etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Hound Heaven wondering if an owl can carry a cat away? My neighbor up the road says he saw his cat up on a wooden railing and then heard an owl maybe and thinks the owl took his cat. Could this happen, it was a small cat. No signs of any fight w/fur on ground etc.
Unless it was a young one, I would doubt that a Barred Owl could but a Great Horned Owl likely could :oops: Here's an excerpt about GHO's from the Cornell site.
1711210700680.png

And here's some info on the feeding habits of Barred Owls:
1711210913239.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Unless it was a young one, I would doubt that a Barred Owl could but a Great Horned Owl likely could :oops: Here's an excerpt about GHO's from the Cornell site. View attachment 162296
And here's some info on the feeding habits of Barred Owls:
View attachment 162297
Thanks, we do have Great Horned owls here I just read. The cat was young but not a small kitten, maybe 6 months old. It did happen in the evening I believe so I suppose it's possible. Since the guy saw the cat one minute and then cat was gone, something must have gotten it from above as the cat was up off the ground sitting. The guy was out there to get the cat and bring it in. Then poof cat gone!

Ask a Question