Pump & filter suitability

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. We have a small, man-made waterfall and catch basin in our back yard. We had it installed three years ago. See images below, click for larger versions:

The basin is about 2.5' x 4' x 3', or... .75m x .9m x 1.2m. The waterfall is about 7' (2m) in total height, from top to catch basin. The original pump in the waterfall began shorting the gfci circuit. It was not clogged, so I guessed its electricals were no longer watertight. I do not know the specifications for the old pump, and I'm remiss for not trying to discover them, before replacing it.

The water in the catch basin has always been rather green. There are 5 or 6 goldfish in the 4" to 7" range living in it. (10cm-18cm) I went to a local pond store, told them what we had and also asked if they had something that would filter the algae out, while not disturbing the goldfish. I was sold a Laguna Clearflo 2100 / 8000. It cost a lot, but I was assured it would do the job by staff at the garden / pond shop, and I was given a ball valve to limit the flow as needed.

Is this the right solution for our basin / waterfall? I'm holding off installing it, because my wife is sure it's overkill, and wants to return it. Marital and garden harmony are both at stake.

Morgan

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
morgan said:
=

Is this the right solution for our basin / waterfall? I'm holding off installing it, because my wife is sure it's overkill, and wants to return it. Marital and garden harmony are both at stake.

Morgan

There is a lot of information in the DIY section on building your own filter, rather cheaply and they work good. I would take the filter back and start building your own. The bought one would work well, but why pay for a lot for it, when you can make one. A lot of people like the skippy filter.

Welcome btw to the forum

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your stone work looks great
And the laguna pump will save you money
I never tried that filter ..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):