Pump size question

Reaction score
I need help getting the right GPH pump. Rebuilding my little pond. Here are specs.
Pond will be 400-500 gallons and 3' deep at its deepest. Building a 30 gall bio filter. Height of pump to the crest of filter will be 5'-6' up. From what I understand the water needs to take about 3 minutes to cycle through biofilter. So that said anyone able to tell me what size pump i should get?
also, piping will all be 1 1/2"

Oh, and what prefilter to most people use on their pumps? given the small size of pond I don't think I need a skimmer.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would look at a pump in the 1250-1500 gph range, If you can find one witha foam prefilter od small filter box over the intake should work, Your going to deed some reducing though as the pomp will probably be about 3/4" to 1' max at the output.

Reaction score
I am going to go with a laguna. Was thinking either the 900 or 1500 would be ideal. Because I am still building the biofilter I could change the size of the piping without a huge hassle. From what I was hearing everyone always complained they didn't use big enough piping. I thought go big or go home! :lol:

I also found another thread and it sounds like a rubbermaid 30 gallon trashcan for biofilter is a bad idea?! if that is the case I will need to rebuild what i have done thus far anyways.

I need to do this soon as my current 100gal pond is a mess(solid green water) and I worry my Koi and goldies are getting hurt in there.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would go bigger than 900 gph, That's what I have on my 300 gallon pond with 35 gallon barrel filter, I wouldn't mind a little more flow rate and your planned pond is bigger than mine. I did a trash can and I didn't trust it. Upgraded it to the barrel and was much happier with it!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Yes the trash can will work but like fishin said they are not as durable as a 55 gallon barrell. Youn can find those on graigslist for @$20-25 each.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have 10 55 gallon size and 6 35 gallon size I have been picking up at the car wash, Every time I go by I grab two more. LOL going to have a supply here if I need them. Still have few left to rinse out.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I have 10 55 gallon size and 6 35 gallon size I have been picking up at the car wash, Every time I go by I grab two more. LOL going to have a supply here if I need them. Still have few left to rinse out.

Do you now someone there or do thy just put them to the curb fishin? They aren't as easy to come by here. Or maybe im not looking the right places.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, Someone here told me to check car wash places for the drums. My wife uses a drive through one and one day I just got out and ask, They had a bunch stacked up behind a fence, I ask if I could get a couple and they loaded my truck up, I've built one filter for a friend and I'm in the process of getting the supplies to build one for a local ponder for his build. They give them to me for free, all I have to do is ask for them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that was me that told you fishin'....most carwashes will at least sell them. $10.00 is about average....some will say "just come get 'em!"... automated carwashes get soap, wax,.degreaser, etc..in them a go thru them fairly quick.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I thought it was you but wasn't 100% sure. I thank you again for telling me! I talked to the manager the other day and he's going to try and get me two of the 250 gallon totes! He said that they have about 3-4 a month and they get rid of them pretty quick but he would let me know when he had one and took my # to call me so I can come straight up there and get it. Also told me no charge on those too!

Reaction score
Thanks for info guys. Going to switch from rubbermaid to one of these drums. On the piping, you all sure I should go down to 3/4"? I figured no harm in going 1 1/2" and wanted to not end up going too small.

Ask a Question