water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DLWyman said:
Just a question if no one minds. Are utility sump pumps ok to use in a pond? I've been told that some are cooled with oil in them, and they can leak, wouldn't oil from a pump harm fish or plants?

It is not a good idea to have a pump with oil in it, in your pond, if it does leak it could hurt things. imo I use external pumps.

Reaction score
I thought the Utilitech 1/2 HP stainless steel fountain & pond pump rated at 3300 GPH from Lowe's for $127 was a great deal until I found out that this 115 volt 13 amp pump calculates out to over 1495 watts of power. Compare this to Laguna's 4200 GPH pump at 160 watts.

Reaction score
I thought the Utilitech 1/2 HP stainless steel fountain & pond pump rated at 3300 GPH from Lowe's for $127 was a great deal until I found out that this 115 volt 13 amp pump calculates out to over 1495 watts of power. Compare this to Laguna's 4200 GPH pump at 160 watts.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Yep...you would be hard pressed to find a pump thats as economical as the lagunas for power consumption...and really selling price also for the quality and warranty

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Yep...you would be hard pressed to find a pump thats as economical as the lagunas for power consumption...and really selling price also for the quality and warranty

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have used sump pumps for my large waterfall 2 times and both led to oil in the water when the pump seals failed.
It is mineral oil so it is not as bad, but it is a mess to clean up and the oil sheen blocks oxygen. Not a good idea, long term.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have used sump pumps for my large waterfall 2 times and both led to oil in the water when the pump seals failed.
It is mineral oil so it is not as bad, but it is a mess to clean up and the oil sheen blocks oxygen. Not a good idea, long term.

Reaction score
The Lowe's utilitech item #0041844 is oil free, but never the less who wants them at a whopping 1495 watts of consumption. Oh! and I was wrong on the output its 3800 GPH.
My present 2900 gal Laguna Maxflo uses a mere 130 watts.

Reaction score
The Lowe's utilitech item #0041844 is oil free, but never the less who wants them at a whopping 1495 watts of consumption. Oh! and I was wrong on the output its 3800 GPH.
My present 2900 gal Laguna Maxflo uses a mere 130 watts.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
little giants have great products... but there are so many.

not all sump pumps are oil,some are oil free... YOU MUST DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH...............

I'm trying to help ya people,jeezz. these pumps are to show the masses the differnet types of pumps.I'm not recommending anything.

btw my sump pumps water cooled

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
little giants have great products... but there are so many.

not all sump pumps are oil,some are oil free... YOU MUST DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH...............

I'm trying to help ya people,jeezz. these pumps are to show the masses the differnet types of pumps.I'm not recommending anything.

btw my sump pumps water cooled

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on pumps, right now I am still shopping and looking for a deal. I never thought to see how many watts they use! this could explain why my electric bill is so high, along with the swimming pooL 2 HP pump the grid is making a bloody fortune from me!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on pumps, right now I am still shopping and looking for a deal. I never thought to see how many watts they use! this could explain why my electric bill is so high, along with the swimming pooL 2 HP pump the grid is making a bloody fortune from me!

Reaction score
Your welcome DLWyman! Many are buying high wattage pumps unawares that 24/7 use is going to sky-rocket their electric bills.

Reaction score
Your welcome DLWyman! Many are buying high wattage pumps unawares that 24/7 use is going to sky-rocket their electric bills.

Ask a Question