Pumps

lynnsisko

Lynn mucking about
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I look at pumps in the various catalogues some show volts, others watts, and still others list amps and hourse power. What is the difference? What affects my bill, which affects how many gal. per hour?

lynnsisko

Lynn mucking about
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I look at pumps in the various catalogues some show volts, others watts, and still others list amps and hourse power. What is the difference? What affects my bill, which affects how many gal. per hour?

Reaction score
Watts and power are the same, low watts is what your looking for. Watts (P) is a product of amps (I) times voltage (E) or P=I x E.

Reaction score
Watts and power are the same, low watts is what your looking for. Watts (P) is a product of amps (I) times voltage (E) or P=I x E.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a pattern, but it appears to me that smaller pumps seem to deliver better energy efficiency (gallons per watt).

Example below. Please note that I can't verify these numbers, just going by manufacturer's claims, then dividing GPH by wattage...

Laguna PowerJet 400 - 21 GPW
Laguna PowerJet 600 - 18.75 GPW
Laguna PowerJet 900 - 13.4 GPW

The Laguna PJ 400 is the most efficient 400 GPH pump I've found so far. If energy consumption outweighed all other concerns, I'd be thinking about buying two 400's instead of one 900

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
TELKWA...smaller pumps usually have less head capabilties.. so if you bought a 900 gph pump that still had 850+ gph at 2 feet of head. those 2 400 gph pumps might only have 700 or less gph at 2 feet of head.your already starting with a 100 gph less at 0 head and may end up 200+ gph less at even small head heights.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koiguy took the words right out of my thoughts. RU psychic? LOL
I also think the head is going to be the difference.

Reaction score
OK, thanks, guys -

I was kinda wondering about head losses but didn't try to analyze the numbers and don't have enough hands-on experience to know.

Ask a Question