PVC pipe -- painting or coating (for a pond edging idea)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That stain idea from tbendl sounds promising. If you do decide to go that way I would love to know how you did it and how it turns out. My hubby has used the Krylon Fusion stuff in the spray can and he seems to like that ok. Not sure about the no chipping but they say after 7 days it should not do that. They don't say anything about scratching. They talk about using another coat before 24hrs or after 7 days.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That stain idea from tbendl sounds promising. If you do decide to go that way I would love to know how you did it and how it turns out. My hubby has used the Krylon Fusion stuff in the spray can and he seems to like that ok. Not sure about the no chipping but they say after 7 days it should not do that. They don't say anything about scratching. They talk about using another coat before 24hrs or after 7 days.

J.W, the difference between painting and staining [using this method] is that paint will stick to the surface, but it doesn't "bond" with the PVC. That's why it can scratch or peel off after time. And it goes on in layers that can be a problem if you want to join pieces 'cause the paint adds to the thickness of the PVC pipe.

With this staining method, the solvent actually dissolves into the PVC and becomes part of it. I'm going to go out in a few minutes and experiment with some PVC pipe -- I'll keep you posted. Oh, and one of the links I followed took me to a site that carries the type of paint they used in this example. I think it was a bunch of small, sample sized bottles, which is good since they say it doesn't take much to get the color.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Jw, I used Krylon for plastic on my plastic chairs outside and it is pretty sturdy but will scratch off. I've had my chairs painted for 2 years and there are areas that need to be redone so I worried that it might be more maintenance intensive in the long run for Mmathis to use. Just my experience with it, although the high humidity might have something to do with the longevity of the paint. Everything cracks. peels, and melts down here. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis Well lets hope you get fantastic results w/ this new stain stuff so you can get your project done and enjoy it for many years. This will be a good test for everyone here that might have a similar situation having to do w/pvc pipe or other plastics. Wonder if black or white pvc is easier to stain and cover? Wonder if you can use it in the water after it's all dry and set for the appropriate time.

@tbendl yep she doesn't need something that she will have to keep redoing when it scratches off. I did notice on that Krylon site that it said to use in humidity below 85% when applying.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
UPDATE:
I found a 24" piece of PVC pipe to experiment on. I sanded one half of it [to see if the outcome was different for sanded vs not-sanded -- there wasn't a difference], and used a utility knife to make some random scratches & gouges.
image.jpg

Then I "painted" the pipe 3 different ways: with the dauber, with a paint brush, and with a rag.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I let it sit for about 3 hours until it was no longer tacky. After that I tested the applications. First was to sand it. Barely made a dent.
image.jpg

Then I used the utility knife. It was possible to make gouges that took off the layer of color. Scratches and scrapes took off the color. But I must say that it took some effort -- I really think that whatever you "stained" could stand up to some abuse.
image.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to cut the pipe and try pounding it in the ground.....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Waiting to see how this works and hoping it does! So far it sounds promising :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another brief update:

Yesterday I decided to play with my Dremel tool and see what kind of detailing I could get away with. That was kinda fun. I cut the pipe in 2 sections then drug [dragged?] out various Dremel attachments to experiment with. After that, I used the rag technique again, and rubbed on some more purple primer.
image.jpg

Then today I pounded them into the ground. I'll leave them there while I finish working on the pond, but will make a point to abuse them as much as possible :rage:
image.jpg

Except for the fact that they are purple [which does happen to be my favorite color], I think they're turning out nice. Nice enough that I think I'll look into purchasing some of the paint to mix with PVC cleaner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I really like the etching you did to those. Gives them a look of age and makes them look woody. This is gonna look great I'm thinking when it's all done and in place! Now how many of these do you have to do?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's held up well. I'd worry that after a few week wacks, 1 becomes 2 become 300 and then you have to redo. Although I don't think it looks bad all banged up.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's held up well. I'd worry that after a few week wacks, 1 becomes 2 become 300 and then you have to redo. Although I don't think it looks bad all banged up.
Actually, where I would be using these, they wouldn't get weed-whacked. I just had Hubby do that as part of my experiment to see how they stand up.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh even better! I can't wait to see the finished project. They look like they will hold up well. did you decide what you're going to put inside them?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then the test was a success as they held up quite well using the whaco machine!

Ask a Question