Question about adding Zyme

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Gemma, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Gemma

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

I had not considered that by removing that layer of cement mortar silt with my pond vacuum that it would make my water more acidic.
    The timing makes me think that that's what happened now.
    I've raised the ph with baking soda and buffered it with crushed coral sachets in my waterfall box. I'd like to see it at 7.8 to 8.2.
    Same as my fish tanks.
    Alkaline.

ZEROPILOT, Sep 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

sissy sissy

But zeolite can be rinsed off and reused .I rinse mine in salt water like it says and then reuse it

sissy, Sep 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

My wife bought me 8 more small koi and released them into the pond while I was away as a surprise.
    I don't have the heart to tell her I wasn't ready yet.
    So I went out and got the Jumbo, $75 bottle of Fritz zyme and poured it into my filter pump intake.
    Fingers crossed.
    And NO MORE FISH!
    These will grow and fill out the pond nicely if I can manage to not kill them.

ZEROPILOT, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Gemma

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    I am sold on oyster shells used to buffer the water. I found many post here promoting them searching for KH and water hardness. From what I have read, I believe if GH is a good bit higher the KH use baking soda or similar to equalize KH and GH.
    From there it appears those using oyster shells don't have a large imbalance between KH and GH and do not need to continue to add baking soda and maintain a decent level of KH and more stable pH. I didn't do any research into zeolite which seems like a good buffer too.

IPA, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Although Koi Clay is well know for its efficacy as a prebiotic. it plays no real part in establishing the Nitrogen cycle. It is also neither more or less safe than Nitrifying bacteria.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

A good range.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 4, 2017
  7. Gemma

IPA

It took me a while to find this "good stuff" thread. I purchased and added FritzZyme several days ago after having seeded the pond with ammonium chloride days before that. Ammonia has not dropped and still 0 on nitrates. Well, having a bog filter with plants in it for several days before adding the bacteria also removed any trace amount of phosphate, Doh!
    Customer support from Fritz Industries has been outstanding. This isn't an ad for them by the way. I need to remove the plants temporary so the bacteria can do their stuff and add back a trace amount of phosphate. Thanks @ZEROPILOT and @Meyer Jordan .

IPA, Sep 25, 2017
  8. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

You did not mention it but don't forget that the use of Ammonium Chloride requires 3 or 4 applications to be successful in establishing the desired nitrifying biofilm.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 25, 2017
    IPA likes this.
  9. Gemma

IPA

I need to add a minor amount of phosphate. What can I use? I know you said don't use fertilizer before the pond is cycled. Is that because I can then no longer monitors the process? So besides fertilizer is there any house or garden things to use? Can I use just a wood ash, potash, bonemeal or in this case a very small amount of fertilizer, 2-7-4 jobes organic or generic 10-10-10? Fertilome 4-10-3 root stimulant?

Edit: the pond is currently at between .5 and 1.0 ppm phosphate. :-/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    IPA, Sep 25, 2017
  10. Gemma

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Do not attempt to raise the Phosphorus level. It is already too high. The recommended level for freshwater ponds varies from state to state but generally 0.05 ug/l is the accepted limit.

Meyer Jordan, Sep 25, 2017
    IPA likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question