Question about adding Zyme

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The Fritz-zyme liquid is one of the few true products that contains the live Nitrifying bacteria. As the man said: "It do work! Sho 'nuff!".
It took me a while to find this "good stuff" thread. I purchased and added FritzZyme several days ago after having seeded the pond with ammonium chloride days before that. Ammonia has not dropped and still 0 on nitrates. Well, having a bog filter with plants in it for several days before adding the bacteria also removed any trace amount of phosphate, Doh!
Customer support from Fritz Industries has been outstanding. This isn't an ad for them by the way. I need to remove the plants temporary so the bacteria can do their stuff and add back a trace amount of phosphate. Thanks @ZEROPILOT and @Meyer Jordan .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It took me a while to find this "good stuff" thread. I purchased and added FritzZyme several days ago after having seeded the pond with ammonium chloride days before that. Ammonia has not dropped and still 0 on nitrates. Well, having a bog filter with plants in it for several days before adding the bacteria also removed any trace amount of phosphate, Doh!
Customer support from Fritz Industries has been outstanding. This isn't an ad for them by the way. I need to remove the plants temporary so the bacteria can do their stuff and add back a trace amount of phosphate. Thanks @ZEROPILOT and @Meyer Jordan .

You did not mention it but don't forget that the use of Ammonium Chloride requires 3 or 4 applications to be successful in establishing the desired nitrifying biofilm.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You did not mention it but don't forget that the use of Ammonium Chloride requires 3 or 4 applications to be successful in establishing the desired nitrifying biofilm.
I need to add a minor amount of phosphate. What can I use? I know you said don't use fertilizer before the pond is cycled. Is that because I can then no longer monitors the process? So besides fertilizer is there any house or garden things to use? Can I use just a wood ash, potash, bonemeal or in this case a very small amount of fertilizer, 2-7-4 jobes organic or generic 10-10-10? Fertilome 4-10-3 root stimulant?

Edit: the pond is currently at between .5 and 1.0 ppm phosphate. :-/

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I need to add a minor amount of phosphate. What can I use? I know you said don't use fertilizer before the pond is cycled. Is that because I can then no longer monitors the process? So besides fertilizer is there any house or garden things to use? Can I use just a wood ash, potash, bonemeal or in this case a very small amount of fertilizer, 2-7-4 jobes organic or generic 10-10-10? Fertilome 4-10-3 root stimulant?

Edit: the pond is currently at between .5 and 1.0 ppm phosphate. :-/

Do not attempt to raise the Phosphorus level. It is already too high. The recommended level for freshwater ponds varies from state to state but generally 0.05 ug/l is the accepted limit.

Ask a Question