Question on water change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Could it be possible that this is a result of better overall filtration? This was your reason for the addition of the sand and gravel filter, was it not?

Yes, I wanted to improve filtration, as my koi have grown. I have no way of knowing if it's the filtration, water changes, or a combination of both. At any rate, I'm pleased they're doing so well and that the water changes haven't bothered them.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, I wanted to improve filtration, as my koi have grown. I have no way of knowing if it's the filtration, water changes, or a combination of both. At any rate, I'm pleased they're doing so well and that the water changes haven't bothered them.

How often are you performing this task? What percentage of total pond water volume do you estimate that you are changing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The only time i do a water change is when i forget i'm pumping water out due to heavy ran or i blow out my bog. when i blow out bog im prolly replacing 400gs or so in a 7k g pond. if i forget i'm draining from heavy rains well that can be 25% to 80% ..

I do add water when it drops below 6" or so normally from evaporation etc. maybe every 2-3 months

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How often are you performing this task? What percentage of total pond water volume do you estimate that you are changing?

About once a week or so. I don't know exactly how much is pumped out. I back wash it using a 2000 gph pump for about 3-4 minutes and it takes about 12 minutes to refill the pond. Do you know how to calculate the amount pumped out?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
About once a week or so. I don't know exactly how much is pumped out. I back wash it using a 2000 gph pump for about 3-4 minutes and it takes about 12 minutes to refill the pond. Do you know how to calculate the amount pumped out?

About 100 - 135 gallons of water.
If your pond is still 1700 gallon capacity then you are removing about 6% - 8% of total volume. Hardly can be considered a water change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
About 100 - 135 gallons of water.
If your pond is still 1700 gallon capacity then you are removing about 6% - 8% of total volume. Hardly can be considered a water change.

What amount of a water do you consider a water change? I've seen recommendations of 10 % weekly on Koiphen, but I really don't know what amount constitutes a water change. I try to not backwash too long, as I don't want to change out too much water at one time.

I did lower the pond to round up koi the other day, filling a live stock tank with some pond water, but most was refilled with new water, which made me a little nervous.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What amount of a water do you consider a water change

Interesting that you should ask that particular question.
I spent the better part of this afternoon searching for a definition for 'Water Change', yet a definition for this commonly practiced and advocated task was not to be found.

My definition of 'Water Change' would be:
A human initiated replacement of a pre-determined amount or percentage of aquarium or pond water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I wonder where the concept of water changes came from?
The first aquariums were boxes of water with collected aquatic specimens and every now and then the aquarist would mix the water around with their hand.

I imagine that water changes were seen as an early form of maintaining water quality.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I try to not backwash too long, as I don't want to change out too much water at one time.

I did lower the pond to round up koi the other day, filling a live stock tank with some pond water, but most was refilled with new water, which made me a little nervous.

Why were you nervous, out of curiosity. You do water changes, you believe they've improved the health or at least the appearance of your fish, but something about it worries you?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder where the concept of water changes came from?
The first aquariums were boxes of water with collected aquatic specimens and every now and then the aquarist would mix the water around with their hand.

I imagine that water changes were seen as an early form of maintaining water quality.

I would imagine when people started losing large numbers of fish to degrading water quality is when they decided water changes were important.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would imagine when people started losing large numbers of fish to degrading water quality is when they decided water changes were important.

Wouldn't improved filtration have been a better solution? Or maybe managing the environment better (i.e. fewer fish, less food, etc.) I know an aquarium presents challenges you don't have in a pond (mainly difficult to grow live plants) but for the same reason it doesn't seem to make sense to carry aquarium keeping rules over to pond keeping.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wouldn't improved filtration have been a better solution? Or maybe managing the environment better (i.e. fewer fish, less food, etc.) I know an aquarium presents challenges you don't have in a pond (mainly difficult to grow live plants) but for the same reason it doesn't seem to make sense to carry aquarium keeping rules over to pond keeping.

The thing is that there are so many different types and sizes of "ponds" We have had folks on this forum set up a storage tote and call it a pond. How long do you think fish could live in a small container like that without water changes before they start to have health issues? When is a pond considered a pond? Is there a certain size or gallons of water? The small water features/ponds are basically an aquarium that is set up outside and labeled a pond because it's outside.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I happen to have several aquariums and have kept many different fish over the last 18 years. I can't wrap my head around not changing water as part of routine maintenance.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm willing to bet there is not one person (professional or hobbyist) who breeds fish that doesn't have a water change routine.

I am not sure that it is even possible or practical to attempt a water change in Koi breeder's grow-out mud ponds, but this is where the fish exhibit the best growth rate and health........without the benefits(?) of water changes.

Ask a Question