sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only leave mine filtering the pond for 2 days and since I use it all the time I never get a lot of build up in the quilt batting .I found the more you clean them and the neater you keep them folded the less they fall apart .Plus peroxide is a natural algaecide any way .When I turn off my pumps to clean them I spray rocks on waterfall with a spray bottle with peroxide .Spray them an wait an hour and turn pumps back on and it all turns white and just goes away .

Reaction score
We have a 1400 gal pond and had the same problem with suspended algae. We tried filters including a UV light but still didn't have clear water. From suggestions on this forum, installed a 50 gal skippy filter and small bags of barly straw in the water fall and have had clear water ever since. Additional barly straw bags are add about every three weeks, with the oldest one being removed. Got a bale of straw from a farmer, so can add straw any time. There is algae build up in the bottom of the pond but that is removed with a brush on the end of a pole, but no supended algae. I guess the skippy and the straw keep the fine algae in control.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
by product of barley is peroxide and works just about the same .I learned it works the same without the mess .I used to buy barley .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
sissy,
When you spray the rocks with peroxide and then turn on your pumps doesn't this dirty up your water or are you filter it before it goes into the pond with batting?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I filter some of it but most times it gets sucked into my regular filters and since I have 2 filters one on each end it picks it up fast and then I clean the extra batting I put on top of my filters .I have the water running down into my filters and when it is cleaned like that ,I only turn off one pump at a time and wait an hour at least before I do the second waterfall .I usually brush the stones off with a toilet bowl brush before I turn the pump back on if it looks real dirty .I just buy toilet bowl brushes at the dollar store they are great as they are round and have nice stiff bristles .I have never had much problem with to much dirt in my pond because I use quilt batting until I turn off the waterfall and I think using the peroxide to clean the batting may help also .In 8 years I have only lost one fish and he jumped out .

Ask a Question