Rascally Raccoons - Help Me Adapt!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got rid of the raccoons - for the past few months, at least. After browsing the internet, I found a technique apparently used by pot growers trying to get raccoons to stop eating their crop. I adapted that for under water. First, I bought some wire fencing (1x3", I think). Then I cut it to the same size/shape pieces as the shallowest step in my pond. Then I cut each horizontal (longer rectangle side) wire in every other rectangle and bent the wire up. Each up-pointing wire has a slight bend in it so that it provides an irritating poke and then a more hard poke to any raccoon foot that steps on it. Then I painted all of these pieces black (I had bought the thicker, uncoated fencing) and anchored them into the pond with rocks here and there.

Since then, the raccoons have stopped playing in the pond and destroying the pump pre-filter. I doubt they're gone for good, and this solution makes it harder to clean the leaves off the shelf, but I'm happy for now.

For good measure, I also added a wood "no skinny dipping" sign. I'm pretty sure that'll help keep out any English-reading, rule-abiding critters.

Attachments

• Anti-Raccoon Wire.jpg
    Anti-Raccoon Wire.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Anti-Raccoon Sign.jpg
    Anti-Raccoon Sign.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 329

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are able to do so I recomend a havahart trap followed up with a 22 shot to the head. Do that a few times and the problem just goes away on its own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely not my style. Luckily, it looks like I got the job done without killing the only mammalian wildlife left in "the 'hood."

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm glad you rid the hood of raccoons

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
I'm at a decision point with my pond and can't decide what to do. After browsing the internet to no avail, I come to you.

Here are all the details of my pond. Too much info, maybe. The pond is ~6x14 feet and maybe 24" deep at the middle. It's below ground in my flagstone patio and has pretty broad shelves. It is lined with a pretty thick rubber, and under that is carpet and concrete. I understand the rubber is a relatively new addition (~5 years ago), and I suspect it was added due to problems with the concrete leaking. The pond has a ~4' waterfall over rocks that I only use when I'm out there - maybe 2 hours a week for 6 months per year. It has a big above-ground filter, but I don't use that. I don't have any fish, and they're not really in my plans (raccoons). I would like to have some plants. The pond is maybe 80% shaded during the summer. I use a net to scoop out leaves and debris (LOTS of leaves and debris). The pond is replenished by my roof drainage system and sometimes the city water supply. The pond is now drained, the liner is full of raccoon-induced holes, and the plants I've added all died long ago due to various raccoon antics.

The problem: The rascally raccoons. Among other mischief (destroying plants, prefilter, etc.), they have been tearing the liner and then tearing off the patches I apply. When they do this, the pond slowly drains, so it seems the cement below the liner doesn't hold water. I understand raccoons like shelves, so I'd be happy to see the shelves go away. Deeper is better for me. I have done my research and have decided the raccoons are here to stay - I'm the one who must adapt. And I love my pond, so I've gotta fix it.

Option A: Patch the many existing holes in the liner and cement over it (1" thick with wire reinforcement - let the buggers try getting through that). The liner will provide waterproofing between the two layers of concrete. Keep the stupid shelves.

Option B: Pull the liner out momentarily and remove the existing concrete shelves. Try to find a new home in the yard for all that concrete. Reinstall the liner, trying to stretch the shape of the shelves out. Cement over the liner like in Option A. No more shelves.

Option C: Remove the liner. Fix the existing cement and apply waterproofing stuff to it. Cross my fingers and hope I don't end up unhappy with that arrangement like the previous owners apparently were. Keep the stupid shelves.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! I really appreciate any input and opinions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
I use and bought the scare crow water sprinkler that attaches to my hose so when ever there is an animal by my pond it shoots water at them when they pass the sensor works great.

Ask a Question