Reinventing my pond

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OK, I will look into the Bamboo thing, thanks for the heads up. I thought it would give a good backdrop to Jurassic garden. No liner yet, just got it dug before the winter rains hit hard so it will be full now till May/June with runoff. I will have to see what happens through the summer and decide what to do with it then. I was going to see if I can find clay locally to truck in as we have none on site just rocky gravel, shale and hardpan. Love your pond Dr, does it hold water all year? Is it just rainwater runoff or do you have to top it up?
i built it as a runoff pond. i have a lot of clay here and it held water the first time it filled up. it is rainwater, i have 7 300 gallon totes i catch water in and i drain them in the pond also.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Its been a while since I posted but lots have been going on. The new pond that we dug in October was nice and full all winter and spring but went bone dry this month. Ordered a liner and decided to go a bit bigger on the whole thing. The pond is now 50 feet wide by 60 feet long and 5-6 feet deep. The adjoining bog area is about 25 X 25 and 3 feet deep and I hope I dug it right. I got a one piece liner and did not realize it weighs 1500 lbs! Have not figure out how I'm going to install it yet since I don't have a flat side to roll it out on. Berm on one side and trees on the other. May have to hold the roll with an excavator and unroll as it moves along. :(

New pond.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MOST COMPANIES SHIP THEM FOLDED NOT ROLLED BE SURE TO SPECIFY

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
FOR A NATURAL POND WHICH IS WHAT YOU DUG ANGLEd sides works but for a liner steped sides is the norm unless your doing a baldy / no rock in the pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I pick up the liner tomorrow and its on a roll. Good point on the shape. It will have rocks around the top edge which becomes a shelf around one side where the ground is higher. Its a long term project as I still need to do layer of sand and underlayment. Lots of sharp shale so I want to be extra cautious. I could add a bench at about mid height.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Would personally indent those shelves better and remove the big rocks. Looks like that's some tricky soil to deal with. Best of luck!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I will have a couple of months now to shape and rake all the rocks and shale from the pond, then a good layer of sand followed by 6oz fabric before the liner. This was supposed to be a summer long project, it just got a kick in the pants when the excavator showed up a month early. Not in any hurry and the summer is usually dry, I need rain water to fill this sucker. We also cleared a spot for two 2000 gallon plastic tanks to store water from the winter rains and feed the pond all summer to account for evaporation. Also backup for irrigation as we get drier ever year.

Ask a Question