Reinventing my pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The one end has a shelf that's 20 feet long and 6 feet wide that I was going to do the bog in but may extend that to 8-10 feet? Is there a rough calculation as to how big the bog should be in relation to the pond to get clean water?
Jurassic bog 2020.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They say 30% of surface area, any amount of bog helps. But with a big pond a big bog is the best!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
VERY JELOUS of just digging a hole and the water not draining away . nice going here's a video of a very large build if you down sized you should get the results your looking for

Reaction score
Country
Canada
WOW, that's quite the "pond". Was the lake there to start with or did you dig it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is on the property of a tv star dr poe, the pond was there aquascapes made the bog and intake bay to clean up the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have the natural slope and the land you could do just about anything c to make that work . but like in the video thats what i would look at along with a underground rain capture system . it's just money anyways .

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I do have about 3,500 gallons of rainwater storage along the back of the shop which is on the other side of the berm behind the pond. The plan is to do lots of plantings to hide the shop. We have started to propagate Bamboo in buckets so we can get some fast growing stuff in the ground once the basic pond/bog is done. Looks like I will extend the bog since I have quite a bit of room this end of the pond. I have to build the bog at the top of my stream first, start with something small to learn the basics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have started to propagate Bamboo in buckets so we can get some fast growing stuff in the ground once the basic pond/bog is done.
Just remember bamboo will take off, unless you have the clumping stuff, and take over

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like a hot knife through butter! It's the one thing I 100% would never put in my yard. I used to read a garden blog and he was big on bamboo - all he did was beat it back and try to find ways to contain it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are only two types of bamboo a horticulturist I have worked with over and over that they would ever plant them selves. If I am not mistaken black bamboo was one of them and what the other was i can't remember. Any other type of bamboo I wouldn't plant in my yard even if I had a concrete planter that was 8 foot deep and it had 2 foot tall sides above ground. I wouldn't even trust concrete blanket to stop bamboo shoots

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The one end has a shelf that's 20 feet long and 6 feet wide that I was going to do the bog in but may extend that to 8-10 feet? Is there a rough calculation as to how big the bog should be in relation to the pond to get clean water? View attachment 135515
do you have a liner in that pond? if not does it hold water well? it looks like mine i do not have a liner and it is clay.
IMG_20201016_091653.jpg
IMG_20201016_091653.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
OK, I will look into the Bamboo thing, thanks for the heads up. I thought it would give a good backdrop to Jurassic garden. No liner yet, just got it dug before the winter rains hit hard so it will be full now till May/June with runoff. I will have to see what happens through the summer and decide what to do with it then. I was going to see if I can find clay locally to truck in as we have none on site just rocky gravel, shale and hardpan. Love your pond Dr, does it hold water all year? Is it just rainwater runoff or do you have to top it up?

Ask a Question