Reinventing my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
12" of 3/8" pea gravel is the standard. PVC pipe (under the gravel) with slits cut across it every inch or so and cut 1/3 through the pvc.
Every inch ? oh i so i hope thats not needed, i didn't do but like every 6 inches 1/3 the thickness of the pipe .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Every inch ? oh i so i hope thats not needed, i didn't do but like every 6 inches 1/3 the thickness of the pipe .
Our cuts where 6-8 inches apart, all depended on where hubby hit the pipe as he walked down it with the saw zaw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I measured, marked and cut mine every 1-1/2". The articles I read online all stated 1" spacing. I guess it all depends on the size of your bog. GBBUDD and Addy, you both have huge bogs, so wider spacing is probably relative. I imagine if the bog was tiny, you would need more.
I think there's no bad way to build a bog. They say it shouldn't be deeper than 12", but many here have way deeper bogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I measured, marked and cut mine every 1-1/2". The articles I read online all stated 1" spacing. I guess it all depends on the size of your bog. GBBUDD and Addy, you both have huge bogs, so wider spacing is probably relative. I imagine if the bog was tiny, you would need more.
I think there's no bad way to build a bog. They say it shouldn't be deeper than 12", but many here have way deeper bogs.
Raising hand .. MY MAIN BOG IS 7 FEET DEEP BUT THAT HAS THE AQUABLOX. BUT ONTOP OF THAT THE PEASTONE 3/4" MIX IS STILL 24"

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Raising hand .. MY MAIN BOG IS 7 FEET DEEP BUT THAT HAS THE AQUABLOX. BUT ONTOP OF THAT THE PEASTONE 3/4" MIX IS STILL 24"
That is a deep ass bog even with aquablox, adds a lot of water volume though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Exactly! I don't think there's a wrong way.
Some articles do state that if it's too deep, the muck on the bottom will not recieve enough oxygen. However, some people have built air stones in theirs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
24" culvert and 18 inch aquablox a foot of 2/3" stone around and over the 24" culvert then 1-2 6" the aqua blocks and 2 feet of gravel. and the foot lower around the snorkel

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Exactly! I don't think there's a wrong way.
Some articles do state that if it's too deep, the muck on the bottom will not recieve enough oxygen. However, some people have built air stones in theirs.
Raising my hand again i have a lot of air pumping down into the snorkel. got to remember the aqua blox are all i paid for and ok i think 3 of the 12 mafia blocks or is it 16 i forget

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have to say I love those little trucks .How cute are they ,Wait are trucks supposed to be called cute ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some articles do state that if it's too deep, the muck on the bottom will not recieve enough oxygen.
I dug down into mine once years ago, after some chat about stinking muck build up. There was nothing but clean gravel and no stink at all. I do not have any air pumped into my bog, just water. It is 2.5 feet deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I dug down into mine once years ago, after some chat about stinking muck build up. There was nothing but clean gravel and no stink at all. I do not have any air pumped into my bog, just water. It is 2.5 feet deep.
what have I started I never saw or heard of anyone who put air to the bog I said it once or twice here. but it makes sense to boost the o2 levels for the bacteria. My neighbor does this with septic systems and it cleans troubled tanks right up

Reaction score
Country
Canada
OK, not to interrupt the excellent bog information BUT I cant convert to a bog until the fall. In the meantime I have a pond to try and keep clean. My new pre filter is working very well but I have to clean the caked on green slime off the filters twice a day is this normal?
I vacuumed the pond a couple of weeks ago and got most of the bottom clean but the Algae just keeps on coming.
The water looks clean when the air pump is off but when its running there is a lot of sediment in the water.
Pond filters.jpg

Is this just normal maintenance twice a day when you don't have a bog?
These filters are 18" X 24" so lots of surface area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those filters look to be fine particle filters it won't take long for them to do there job. so yes depending on the pond that's normal

Ask a Question