addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't count on a warm winter again, might happen but don't depend on it. The first winter we had 8 inch thick ice, the second winter 1 inch thick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You all are probably right. Though the falls sure would look pretty with the ice and snow. Much easier to shutter down and not worry through the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true been there and scared me .You never know what will happen in the middle of the night .We had 60 degree temps that day and by evening it dropped to 20 degrees and should have shut mine down and then before midnight it was a blizzard outside and did not know it when the security light woke me up there was a foot of snow blowing winds and me in panic mode .I was out there with sneakers and my nightee not a pretty sight. :razz:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn it sissy you need to video these adventures!

I was swimming with the fishes today, sure do have a mix of fish in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turned our cameras off, was out in undies and tshirt working on the pond.............

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
THE MISADVENTURES ARE WHERE THE REAL MEMORIES ARE! Shut her down ,cattle trough heater kicks on at 40 degrees and off at 45 let them slumber ,and you can too,not near as many juicy memories though!
I've got to start on the leave screen pretty soon ,dry conditions ,some leaves already ,not near the pond just a warning notice! I think I will just run JUST my sweep all winter,that should handle things nicely here!

THE ROCKS LOOK GREAT NOW! .but get your self ,the economy size of ROUND_UP ,when it goes on sale ,you will need it ! Just like a pond bottom they really collect stuff ,and things strange start to grow from berries from birds and seeds etc.etc.etc.!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pecan I thought about leaving mine going but never wanted to chance it. Plus my one pump feeds both creeks and my waterfall and just too many chances for a mishap. I would look cool though....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fish may not like it either ,they will be shivering there fins off because it will make the water colder .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Depends on the winter whether I shut mine down or not. Didn't shut it down last winter and fish did fine but didn't get very cold for long either. If I hear cold, cold is coming I will shut her down. Not leaving run when chance of ice on pond coming.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
All this talk of winter has me thinking. I am debating on leaving my falls going this winter. I am a zone 7. I shut them off last winter on Dec 1st and back on the second week of March. Through January the pond froze to about 1inch thick ice everywhere accept for where my air stone was.

My concerns with leaving the falls on are some sort of malfunction in the dead of winter when the last thing I want to be doing is fixing something in the pond. And I am concerned about stirring up the water too much while the fishies sleep at the bottom.

What to do, what to do...
ZONE SeVeN!!! sHuT Up!!! I wish I had your problems Ha Ha HA! Here in sunny warm Medicine Hat, we only get to minis 45 or so, we get "square tires" on our vehicles and "pray" our heater does not quit overnight!!! :) :) :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
.but get your self ,the economy size of ROUND_UP ,when it goes on sale ,you will need it ! Just like a pond bottom they really collect stuff ,and things strange start to grow from berries from birds and seeds etc.etc.etc.!

Just remember roundup is a death sentence to toads, frogs, tads, I don't use it anywhere near the pond, if used at all very carefully

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The best weed prevention I have found is dilligent weeding and wood chips. In my yard and beds the first couple years were tough. Seemed like I was always weeding. But if you can keep them out they come back less and less. This year is the first year that it just takes picking a weed here and there when I happen to be looking at a bed and see one. No special efforts or days spent weeding anymore. And no expensive chemicals that may hurt other plants or wildlife. :) It was hard work getting to this point but sure is worth it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, for a newbie from zone 8: what kinds of things DO I need to be thinking about? Our coldest weather usually hits in Jan/Feb. We might get some snow that will stay on the ground for a day or 2, and we might have a freeze or 2. But for the most part, our winter temps can vary from 30's to 50's/60's in the same week.

I have one spot in the pond, about 2' x 2', that is 4' deep. The rest varies, but averages about 2-1/2 to 3' deep.

1 - tubing/hose considerations?
2 - pump considerations?
3 - biofilter?
4 - air vs a heater?
5 - what to do with the plants / what will survive & what won't?

Guess I do need to start planning, so, advice?

Ask a Question