sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are going to piece it then make sure it does not sag in the middle .A sturdy pipe would work across the pond or heave piece of pvc .

H

humbirdlover

I'm planning on making two pieces, 10' x 12'. My roll is 5' x 25' I was thinking then I could use one half next summer to shade some of the pond. Plus two pieces wouldn't be so hard to handle. Have to wait and see how much it sages after I get it pieced. Wanted to put it up on some kind of supports just high enough to clear the plants and old hand pump water feature on one end, and the other from halfway to the top of the porch wall, so I can get under it. Have to wait and see what happens, LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why not just cut a hole in the screening if you can and let the pump still run .I used a thin piece of wire to tie mine to part of the bridge because i did not want a pipe clamp up there .Even used the thin wire for the window screening to attach to the pool noodles for floating plants so my koi don't destroy them .I just push it through the holes in the window screening

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh Sissy, that grass grew really nice for you, looks just lovely! Are you going to leave it in the pond this winter? I think that should winter well in your pond, looks like a winter hardy type?

Poppy got a new and exciting outfit! Awe, just love my Poppy.... are we having fun yet ?

Attachments

• IMAG1415-1.jpg
    IMAG1415-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG1421.jpg
    IMAG1421.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 219

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
POOR POPPY :LOL: looking at you like really do you think this is funny or something because I am not laughing .I will put it in the basement in one of the concrete mixing tubs .I may plant a clump of it in my yard my neighbor has some and it is really pretty blowing in the wind

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I know, got to quit torturing poor poppy! What will the other puppys think? One time I had a nice new coat for Poppy to wear at the park, Bear looked at her and appeared to be laughing, Poppy got mad and growled at Bear, went to the park with Poppy and her new coat that day and that was the last I ever seen of that coat, Poppy must have "ditched" it in the bushes by the creek that day, never seen that coat again!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pee wee loves his sweaters in winter and looks so cute he must have about 30 of them now .Walmart in the spring put them end of season for 2 dollars so bought all the cutie ones up .He is a stylin dog now or is that stylish dog .

H

humbirdlover

Why not just cut a hole in the screening if you can and let the pump still run .I used a thin piece of wire to tie mine to part of the bridge because i did not want a pipe clamp up there .Even used the thin wire for the window screening to attach to the pool noodles for floating plants so my koi don't destroy them .I just push it through the holes in the window screening
what about this idea, sissy. Make a shade sail with the screening? I can attach with short poles, those kind you pound in the ground with a loop on the end, and then the other end of it attach on the porch wall somehow? Not sure, it might sag too much? About 12' long and maybe 10' wide. The lower end would only be about 15" off the ground, and the porch end about 6'...You have worked with that screening, if I would re enforce the corners with fabric, would it still rip?

H

humbirdlover

Colleen, the look on his face is priceless, LMBO BTW, I couldn't find the yellow flag like you have, but did get a soft rush, bog bean and a clump of dwarf cattails. I'm hoping next Spring when the nursery gets pond plants in, she gets more sedges

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did that and may work but screening is not very sturdy in high winds and with snow and ice

H

humbirdlover

Might give it a try, just to keep most of the leaves out, and for shade next summer. If it wooks who knows, might make one out of fabric next year. Boy did I learn a lesson today. I got the sump pump hose for the batting container, and it had an adapter that fit my bulk head in the bag. I had another one in my hand but put it back. The man at the hardware store told be to cut the end off the hose and just stick the adapter in. NOT! I worked for about an hour, trying to keep that thing in that hose. Got blisters on the skin between my thumbs and index finger to prove it. Finally I said the heck with it, and tried the other end that still had the piece that I had cut off. Gave it a hard push down on the floor, and on it went. Put the clamp on and good to go. I could knock his head off for telling me that. For one thing, that sump pump hose's grooves don't spiral in like the black hose I have been using, so it couldn't get a hold, Geez!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just take some boiling water and put the hose end in it and spray the adapter with a small amount of cooking spray oil and it slides right on and then clean it good the get some of the oil off that may be there .I always use hose clamps and keep a package or 2 handy just in case .

H

humbirdlover

I'll have to remember that. I normally use the ridged kind, doesn't kink or get smashed like the soft black kind. Thank you...again :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the ridged and love the rubber kind but way out of my budget .So this has to do .I even use the larger size foam pipe insulation to protect it from damage .The larger foam insulation is more expensive but for the little I use it is worth it .I just cover the parts exposed to weather and cut it to length

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen, the look on his face is priceless, LMBO BTW, I couldn't find the yellow flag like you have, but did get a soft rush, bog bean and a clump of dwarf cattails. I'm hoping next Spring when the nursery gets pond plants in, she gets more sedges

I'm sure those plants should work just fine, I can tell you that cattails and large rushes (the ones that get over four feet all) will need large baskets or if they get too big for the containers next year, just cut the container away and set roots right in the pond on a shelf or shallow area, held in place with rocks, cause they make very large rhizomes that prefer to be "cut loose" and then they grow even better. :)

Ask a Question