sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bees what i understand can cause the plant to not be a true lemon grass ,but not sure I have heard several explanations for it .

H

humbirdlover

K, I'll ask her before I go get it..Her hubby was the one that called me back, and he said about using it in Oriental recipes. I'll find out for sure tho, if it's the real deal :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If they say it is used in oriental cooking then it is it the bottom of it looks similar to a scallion .You can see it on e bay they sell them on there all the time .Ask them also if they ever carry air plats .i have been on e- bay looking at them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure what shipping would be I know you can send the U'S ' MAIL A a friend works for the Danville post office

H

humbirdlover

Not sure if she will now if the bottom looks like a scallion, but I'll ask her. I know she has the air plants, I saw them :) all different sizes.. Her site on Facebook is Gabalot Gardens and her name is Janet. Just go to her site and send her a message. She's a sweetheart :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ok and guess what harris teeters sells lemon grass and my cousin back in NJ gets it at the oriental grocery store on RT 27 in Edison

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow you have a lot to compete with that is some pond and waterfall they have and they have pondless too .I know there are some ponders up that way who would love this place .funny my nieces and nephews call me miss gabalot too :razz: they say I never know when to shut up ,call me the energizer bunny too :razz: :razz: :razz:

H

humbirdlover

Oh good so you found it it NJ ? Glad you liked her site..Her hubby was in the process of taking the warefall apart for renovations, when I was there..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My cousin sandy told me about it and then you can get fresh lotus pods at the Mexican grocers there also and you just have to let them dry .I am going to try harris teeters to see if I can get it there and if not i will ask gabalot what they would charge to ship that and find out about her air plants .I can't find them here .I love her plant sight and face book page and may take a road trip if I can .I never like driving the roads around here at night to many deer .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
around beginning of december, I shut off pump and drain the areas where there's concrete in canal and aqueduct; leaving water in the concreted area sandwiched between liner so the frogs that burrow into the mud will survive winter

there are about a dozen drains I will need to drain, as I don't want to experiment with the concreted areas

it helps to begin now and think this thru; I've overwintered a couple years now and no problems with aqueduct

canal has cracked in one place but that's where liner is sandwiched in concrete so there's no leak there.

If you ever develope a leak in sandwiched area; best bet is to throw fine silt into the canals and they will close the gap

guess I've lost everyone LOL

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
David, you never lost me, you sound like you have it "under control". It can't get that cold down where you are? Not a fan of concrete in the pond, water is very corrosive to concrete overtime, and will cut right thru the concrete much sooner that just a liner and rocks. But you have a liner underneath so it should be just fine. Your right not to experment with concrete, just it case it does freeze hard in your area, as concrete might crack even more.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hummingbird our nights here are getting very close to freezing, but we have been very lucky to not have had frost yet. It's rare to not have a hard frost going into October. The leaves are staring to turn yellow, but there is still lots of green here. The praire grass is all yellow now and the farmer down by the river is very busy harvesting.

Some pictures from down by the river last night with hubby, Look at how cute that Poppy is! :)

Attachments

• IMAG1476.jpg
    IMAG1476.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG1471.jpg
    IMAG1471.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAG1470.jpg
    IMAG1470.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 241

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
poppy sure loves his daddy .Leaves are changing here and it was cold last night but not cold enough for frost and supposed to get up to 75 today and up in the 80's the rest of the week .We usually don't get frost until November and sometimes we have gotten a Light one in October .Have the feeling it may be sooner this year .Hillsville and up got a frost warning last night ,so makes me think earlier .Got the guest house trim and carport trim painted and now onto staining them

H

humbirdlover

sounds like you are making good progress sissy :) We are cold here, too. But no frost yet. I have two large trumpet vines in the back yard, one red and one yellow. That first hard frost really does a number on them. I can stand at the kitchen window and watch as the first sun light hits them and it literally rains leaves! They make quite a mess, but my humbirds love them, so gotta keep them LOL

Ask a Question