Another view.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
20180527_115629.jpg
20180527_115717.jpg

I've trimmed most of the excess liner. Put the fish in Wednesday early evening and they love the new pond and the developing habitat. I haven't seen them for 4 or 5 months - they've been in the stock tank and haven't been fed. They look great and have been eating very well.

The flat rock that we put in the waterfall yesterday has slowed the velocity of the water entering the pond which seems much better to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
20180605_165421-Pano-2.jpg

A little panorama action. The pond has been as cloudy as not seeing more than 6 inches to being able to see 2.5 feet and is now at 1.5 feet. Early days. We've potted all our remaining lilies and have bought one new one. Lots more rock in the stream bed and more to come. We'll start on the pond edges after I redistribute the mound on the far right. Going to re-plumb the pipe going into the stock tank to use 90 degree bends to conform to the terrain. Then we will put up a decorative barrier in front of the tank and pipes. We hope it is in fact decorative. ;-)

John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
20180626_083318.jpg

I just wanted to post an update on our build. In our last episode you'll see that water clarity was about a foot. This was after about 3 or 4 weeks of operation. We jus got back from vacation and found the pond to be clear with over 3 feet of visibility.

John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what are you going to do with the hill on the side of the pond between the stream and the pond .are you planting there or doing a combo of plants and rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm thinking of planting lippia, a native ground cover on the slope between the stream and the pond. I haven't layed out the irrigation yet and I'm still contemplating.

The goal is to have a combination of native plants, rock borders, crushed stone walkways/access paths and a naturalistic look as much as possible. A somewhat contradictory goal is to create an unobstructed photographic view from the shade of the patio to observe the whole thing. That includes photographing birds bathing in the stream among many other things.

Obviously the stream being up on a hill is not ideal in the naturalistic department but was needed for the horizontal trickle tower function of the stream.

This thing will take probably a year to complete and another to fully grow in.

John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm thinking of planting lippia, a native ground cover on the slope between the stream and the pond.

Gotcha! I would want to get that planted ASAP - I'd worry about a torrential rainfall moving that slope into the pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Going to re-plumb the pipe going into the stock tank to use 90 degree bends to conform to the terrain
`Johny 90 degree fittings add substantial head pressure. they do have a long sweep 90 which is less head then a standard but if you use 45degree fittings and use more to complete your corner sweep you will maintain water flow with less head pressure and not pay electrically reducing water flow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Help, built pond in ground w/ liner gravel on top sandstone around, didn’t fill n it’s rained the sides have collapsed n bulged now about 2ft water in it what do I do where do I start to fix it???? Desperate
I think you need to post a new tread in a different section, if you can post a pic, there are people who may be able to offer advice

Ask a Question