addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aren't the butterfly koi supposed to be much calmer then the other types of koi? Maybe they won't do much damage.

that is what I have heard, oh well, they live here now and sure are pretty.

I caught this picture one of my earlier fry!

IMG_2974.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Aren't the butterfly koi supposed to be much calmer then the other types of koi? Maybe they won't do much damage.

That is far from the case in my pond. The butterfly is the most skittish and afraid of anything that moves. You feed him and he is splashing all over the place getting as much food as fast as he can.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze addy next year when you get babes your going to get some interesting fish babes ,Going to look like a rainbow in your pond

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well I guess time will tell, while grooming the lilies the white and orange one was nibbling on my toes. The red one so far as been shy just floating around.

jw check the camera! almost full moon!

no kidding sissy, what a mix, shubies, goldie and now , koi, said i would never have them lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine aren't skittish but I have had them for awhile and only hand feed them .They love to take the food right out of my hand .It did take them awhile before they got used to that but now they fight to see who can get to my hands first .I'm thinking I need to grow more hands

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, those are some gorgeous fish, Addy! And, didn't I read that koi spawn later than goldies? Maybe they will still spawn this year, and I think you said they were bumping each other, so maybe they will have you some babies soon. After all, my goldfish (I think anyhow) had babies that are 1-2" long already, and all the fish have been in my pond no more than 2 months!!! Goldies came first, then koi on July 2 ... So, they are fast workers, must take only a few days for the eggs to hatch, and the fry sure grow very fast, too.
I've ready butterfly koi are not as bad on plants, too, but that may be just one person's opinion. All fish are different, and you have tons of plants, so if they eat half, you will still have lots! You won't have to cull any plants now ... the fish will do it for you, maybe. :) And, everyone I talk to says you tell if it's a koi by the barbels, so if they don't have any, I'm still guessing Sarasa Comets, or maybe koi/comet crosses, but doesn't matter, those are beautiful fish! Bet you were thrilled when you saw them in person! Congrats!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looking now addy. See things flying, must be bats again and that little bright light shines away. Your fish are not jumping up for bugs are they? Seems like it would be a good night for it w/ a full moon and all.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I moved it higher so it did not read that close bush, that is one reason the pond was darker, well the almost full moon helps too lol

Country, the pond goldfish where chasing and bumping some of the new fish, more of the long fin gold fish looking ones. lol, unless they are koi too just smaller. I need to relook at all of my fishie pictures and rethink what we picked up lol. but they have a home now, could not get rid of them, they have been through enough.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You're a good person addy and love looking at your fishies. They are swimming by giving me a good show. Oh that was a big one!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry so long getting back to you, It's getting so time consuming trying to read through all the postings now. First off on the fat guy, I don't think it is dropsy, worst case scenario IMO is it is possibly egg bound, If that is the case there isn't much you can do, it will either absorb them, lay them, or die from a internal blockage. Dropsy is not hard to tell, the scales stick almost straight out, the skin tone will be non shiny and pinkish in color and the fish other fish will start picking on it. I think it's a fish that mixed a fat body fantail and a long fin comet and that was the result. Just a fat bodied fish.
I've looked several times at all the pics, honestly I really think they are all goldfish. I've seen thousands and thousands of fish and I say that with pretty good confidence. BUT, on the side note that they are a butterfly koi or hybrid between the two, Your plants will be plenty fine for now. My pond is loaded with plants and koi, butterfly, standard, and goldies. the only plants they really mess with is the lettuce and hyacinths roots for the most part. you'll know long before they do enough damage if you need to get them out or not. The biggest concern I would have if it is in your pond situation is them digging in the pots. easy fix, if they do just get some rocks that are about the size of golf balls and place them on top of the litter, or whatever planting media and completely cover the top layer. If they can't pick it up in their mouths they won't dig in them. If you can keep them from digging that's where they do the most damage to lily's. yes they will nibble, but so do bugs and everything else.
now for the part on barbel's on butterfly koi, the Internet isn't really that wrong, The original butterfly koi was breed for long fins, there fore the barbels grew longer too, but in the more recent years breeders have been breeding More colors into the Butterfly koi, So some do retain the the barbels as shorter in some of the newer breedings, For instance if you look at CliffandJoannes butterfly koi you'll notice the side fins are shorter and stubbier, Fish that were breed when they got there's were probably from descendants of koi that breed 10 or so years ago, their barbels and fins are quite different from those you'll see on ebay these days, there fins are much longer and the barbels on most seem to be getting shorter on some. In the show circuit there is a breeder that breeds the kohaku, (which by the way if they are Koi, this is what your red and white would be called) his fish have very small almost unnoticeable barbels, he has been paying more attention to size and color and not wanting to bring out fish with barbels that distract from the facial appearance, yet there is a breeder in Malaysia that breeds for the opposite, he breeding very large barbels and big patches of broken color. This is a living art, very similar to dog breeding, breed back what is appealing to the eye breed out what is not. The show circuit fish are heavy body, Bold, equally spaced, color fish, Butterfly koi breeders are looking for massive body, they are looking for striking flashing color with long flowing fins. This is where your seeing Gin Rin and mettalics really being developed. In the future your going to see even more changes and new colors, I'm expecting the butterfly koi to start being shown more and judged more.
We are planning on going to the Dallas Texas koi show next month. They do have a class for butterfly koi to be shown. I'm interested in seeing what gets shown and if they bring out any new color forms etc. Also looking forward to spending some time with the new grandson!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks fishin, either way they have a new home. So far all behaving, fat guy is swimming around and eating just fine.

I go out to check during the day to make sure all are still living, the red one has started finally to eat.

One question for those that know, some of the larger new guys sink to the bottom and just lay there, then get swimming again, mainly the long finned ones. I figure it is because my pond is so much larger that maybe they get tired? They all appear fine, water tests perfect, and they are eating.

Ask a Question