addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are some great looking fish! I really like that big white one with the butterfly fins. Great deal, for you and the fish.

There are three like that and one that is smaller with long fins but not that long.

The other two hid under the lilies, they are not used to have sky above them. One is such a deep red orange, but very skittish right now.

i couldnt find much online info, but i seen this, scroll down to the middle and you will see it
http://www.exoticgol...eeds-comet.html

Wow thanks that is exactly how mine look....................now hoping for babies! lmao

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
utoh, spawning moves with the new long fins, they are being bumped into...............all look healthy though, no overnight losses.

Reaction score
omgoooooooodness! I'm so excited for them (the fish)... and YOU! That's awesome that you were able to rescue them! Any ideas about how old they may be? Beautiful house you said, with the pond built into the porch... I'm curious re: if the departed home owners BOUGHT them big, or if they'd been there a while and GREW that big.

AND, if they GREW them that big... foreclosure or not, how could someone take care of them on a daily basis long enough to grow such beauties, and then just... LEAVE THEM?! I try SO hard NOT to judge people on a daily basis (for many reasons, but mostly because that's not my job/right, but... I take care of people for a living, and the physical condition of some of the humans that I've taken care of has, for lack of better words, HURT not only my heart, but in the depths of my soul... knowing that they weren't taking care of themselves and either had no one to help them, or worse... had family/others who could have taken care of them, but didn't. I'm not talking just... "dirty"... I'm talking holes in people the size of a human head. :( Human, fish, iguana, dog, cat... we're all living beings. How could someone leave them behind knowing very well that they might die?! I can't wrap my head around it. It wasn't like... a real/country/farm-type pond that was pretty much self sustaining. Although much bigger than mine, it appeared to be pretty much the same, ie: an outdoor aquarium on/under a porch. I understand that times are tough, and to be foreclosed upon is just... wow, I can't even imagine. BUT, I'm pretty sure that if the bank called tomorrow and said that I had to be out by the end of the month, that at SOME POINT during the ferocious packing, mental breakdown, and trying to find a place for my family to go... I'd sure as **** find a place for my water babies to go as well. There's no way my heart/conscious would let me just LEAVE them with no pump, no circulation, no nothing, and be OK with it. To me, it's the same as leaving 15 cats or dogs in that house... without any central air, food, or access to the outdoors. It's the same as those terribly sad ASPCA or Humane Society TV commercials that cause me to have to look away... I can't handle it.

I'm SO happy that there are people like you and your hubby in the world who took a bad situation and made it better. You're my fishy heroes!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my butterfly koi don't have barbs like aggie and bert and none of the fancy tails .They look like koi and since mine don't have them and mine are over 4 years old

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks lulu,
The lady that posted here, I spoke to her today to tell her all was fine with the fish. She said they were 50 ish, an ambulance came a few times so maybe a health issue. Stuff was still in the house including a very large tv. It is sad, but the fish are now happy.

The pond was nicely set up, I think they took good care of them when there, (needed better filtration lol) there was some muck on the bottom, well more than some lol.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks lulu,
The lady that posted here, I spoke to her today to tell her all was fine with the fish. She said they were 50 ish, an ambulance came a few times so maybe a health issue. Stuff was still in the house including a very large tv. It is sad, but the fish are now happy.

The pond was nicely set up, I think they took good care of them when there, (needed better filtration lol) there was some muck on the bottom, well more than some lol.

my butterfly koi don't have barbs like aggie and bert and none of the fancy tails .They look like koi and since mine don't have them and mine are over 4 years old

utoh sissy you mean I got sucked in to getting koi? I hope they don't bother my lilies, will be some better pictures of them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found this on the net and says they have even longer barbells then other koi.

The Butterfly koi is similar to the traditional Koi, but is equipped with long and flowing decorative finnage. The finnage resembles the delicate wings of a butterfly, hence them name. Many breeders and Koi keepers do not consider the Butterfly Koi a true Koi, since it is a hybrid.

The first Koi fishes were developed in Japan during the 19th century, but the Butterfly Koi has a history no longer than a few decades. The Koi fish is sometimes viewed as a Goldfish, but this is not true. Both Koi and Goldfish are domesticated versions of a wild carp and they are closely related, but the goldfish was developed in China while the Koi was breed in Japan.

In Japan, the term Koi is used for ordinary carp fishes and the term “Nishikigoi” is more accurate if you want to refer to domesticated ornamental carps. Koi was however the word that managed to make its way in to the English language, and the international name for this type of fish is therefore Koi. Koi keeping did not really catch on outside Japan until the later half of the 20th century when airfreight and plastic containers made it possible to transport Koi fish to other parts of the world.

In the 1980’s, new variants of the traditional Koi began to show up in the aquarium trade under names such as Dragon carp, Longfin Koi and Butterfly Koi. Traditionally, the different Koi variants were distinguished from each other based on scalation, coloration and pattering. These new variants did however distinguish themselves from all the earlier Koi variants by having unusually long and flowing fins.

The true origin of the Butterfly Koi has been debated. Most aquarists agree that it is a hybrid formed by crossing ordinary Koi with some type of Asian carp, e.g. Indonesian long fin carp. It is possible that different lines of Butterfly Koi actually hail from different origins, since many different breeders can have sought to create more ornamental Koi fishes. Some people even suggest that Butterfly Koi is the result of breeding Koi with Goldfish, but this is not very likely.

Due to its hybrid origin, Butterfly Koi is seldom appreciated at traditional Koi shows. It does however have a strong fan club and many people love these fishes regardless of genetics. Butterfly Koi comes in many different color patterns, just like the traditional Koi. White, orange, yellow or combinations of all tree colors are common. Except from having long and flowing fins, the Butterfly Koi can also be distinguished from traditional Koi by having somewhat longer barbells and bigger nares.

Small Butterfly Koi is sometimes kept in aquariums, but this fish is much more popular as a pond fish and can reach a size of 36 inches. It is considered an easy fish to care for and it has a peaceful temperament. Ideally provide your Butterfly Koi with a pond of at least 1,000 gallons. The Butterfly Koi likes to nibble at the roots of plants and sturdy plant species are therefore recommended. You should also protect the base of the plant by encircling it with large stones or similar. The Butterfly Koi will endure temperatures from 33 to 90° Fahrenheit. Keep the pH in the 6.8-7.2 range and the dH between 2 and 12. You can feed your Butterfly Koi pellet food as long as you make sure that it is of high-quality and contains no more than 30% protein.

Reaction score
ahhhh, health issues... :( that sucks.

I, Lulu, *right hand in the air* wholeheartedly rescind my previous statement(s), and wholeheartedly apologize for any bad feelings those statements may have caused.

(I sometimes get a little hot-headed in terms of patient and animal advocacy.) SORRY!

Reaction score
just be looking for chew/bite marks on your lily leaves addy. My Koi chew on my leaves when they're hungry. Looks a bit like bug bites. I've seen another pond locally with some hybrids that seem to look almost like the red one. He had them in several different color variations. Goldies LOVE to fertilize Koi eggs. He told me that he can't get a full blood Koi out of his spawnings because of the goldies.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So the vote is at least two are koi............... so does that mean all my lilies are in danger............geez

They sure are pretty though.

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In that post that I got from the internet above it said butterfly koi had longer barbells than regular koi

Ask a Question