Restoring neglected stream/small pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Christine09 ! What a pretty spot you have to work with!

i have been looking at the types of liners and i think i m going to get rpe liner. does anyone have experience with that type of liner?

I am not familiar with this liner - @addy1 is this the liner you used? Most recommend and use 45 mil EPDM as the most durable and flexible liner. Is there a reason why you would choose this instead?

i am also going to break up the stream since its very long and add a very small pond with a drop off before and after to make more waterfall noises.

Creating small pools along the way will definitely add interest and more sound to your stream. The only thing you need to concern yourself with is that the total volume of water will be retained in the system should the power go out, either on purpose or accidentally.

I don't see in your photo where the stream feeds the pond - does it actually go into the pond? I see that it terminates at the pond, but I don't see the liner overlapping into the preform. Would you consider removing the preform and making it all new liner? I could see a bigger pond filling that whole raised area... but it's not me with the shovel! haha! You could also add a skimmer to help with the debris that falls into the pond.

In any case, to prevent leaking you'll want your liner from the stream to overlap the pond edge.

Bricks may have been placed in the pond to create shelves for potted plants in the pond or a place to put the pump so it doesn't sit directly on the bottom.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
IMG_0051.JPG

The red circle looks like some kind of edging or the edges of the fabric bunched up.
The blue looks like weed barrier fabric, saying you can see through it kinda confirms this for me. I think it was a decorative dry stream bed but could be wrong.
IMG_0052.JPG

The landscape light in the stream bed kinda adds to my theory. No one in their right mind would add this kind of light. It would be an aquatic pond light instead.

I have no familiarity with that liner, I'd type the name of it followed by the word reviews into google & see what you find. I also agree with whoever said add a skimmer for debris. I also like the idea of removing the preform pond & digging your own. If you don't want to cut the liner for the skimmer they make ones that sit entirely in the pond.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a

I am not familiar with this liner - @addy1 is this the liner you used? Most recommend and use 45 mil EPDM as the most durable and flexible liner. Is there a reason why you would choose this instead?

Creating small pools along the way will definitely add interest and more sound to your stream. The only thing you need to concern yourself with is that the total volume of water will be retained in the system should the power go out, either on purpose or accidentally.

I don't see in your photo where the stream feeds the pond - does it actually go into the pond? I see that it terminates at the pond, but I don't see the liner overlapping into the preform. Would you consider removing the preform and making it all new liner? I could see a bigger pond filling that whole raised area... but it's not me with the shovel! haha! You could also add a skimmer to help with the debris that falls into the pond.

In any case, to prevent leaking you'll want your liner from the stream to overlap the pond edge.

Bricks may have been placed in the pond to create shelves for potted plants in the pond or a place to put the pump so it doesn't sit directly on the bottom.

I typically turn on my stream & then refill the pond to level. If I lose power it overflows from the extra stream water but I did add an overflow drain to control it or from flooding from a massive rain storm.

Reaction score
Country
United States

yes the stream goes into the pond from under the mini bridge. i didnt even think about overflow!! i have to add a pipe going off into the woods or something is there another way i can deal with the overflow?? there is a deck nearby and i dont want it to get wet from heavy overflow. i looked up skimmers and is there one you can add to a preformed pond liner? or should i add it to the mini pond/puddle half way through the stream? i was having a hard time finding a skimmer added to a preformed pond liner. :( i was thinking the same thing!! BIGGER POND!! but ill work with what i have and maybe down the line as my fish get bigger add a bigger pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 112883
The red circle looks like some kind of edging or the edges of the fabric bunched up.
The blue looks like weed barrier fabric, saying you can see through it kinda confirms this for me. I think it was a decorative dry stream bed but could be wrong.
View attachment 112889
The landscape light in the stream bed kinda adds to my theory. No one in their right mind would add this kind of light. It would be an aquatic pond light instead.

I have no familiarity with that liner, I'd type the name of it followed by the word reviews into google & see what you find. I also agree with whoever said add a skimmer for debris. I also like the idea of removing the preform pond & digging your own. If you don't want to cut the liner for the skimmer they make ones that sit entirely in the pond.

i agree i think it was decorative switch just makes it a little harder for me since i think a working stream would be the best option i mean might as well RIGHT!! :D yeah the light was weird but its been in disarray for a while so it might of been moved there. i haven't worked on it yet no time but ill update when i start getting the rocks moved.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
i agree i think it was decorative switch just makes it a little harder for me since i think a working stream would be the best option i mean might as well RIGHT!! :D yeah the light was weird but its been in disarray for a while so it might of been moved there. i haven't worked on it yet no time but ill update when i start getting the rocks moved.

It went into the pond to aid in the illusion that it was real is my guess on the stream. I wanna say tetra makes a skimmer that would work.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a

It went into the pond to aid in the illusion that it was real is my guess on the stream. I wanna say tetra makes a skimmer that would work.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Reaction score
Country
United States
REAL quick question!! best way to disinfect a pond without doing too much draining and allows for fish later on. while cleaning the last bit of the pond i found a deceased rat within the pond. which has halted everything until i get more protective gear and a good way to disinfect a pond that isnt harmful to fish in the future >.>

Ask a Question