Reverse tank and pond set-up?

Reaction score
Hi all,
My first post here and first pond that I will eventually get built. The pond I'm aiming to build will be roughly 4ft wide x 8ft long x 4ft or 5 ft deep and raised about 2ft above ground (remaining 2 or 3ft below ground level).

My question here today is this; i've recently bought a pump and two water tanks with some piping and a UV lamp from ebay as it was a cheap deal. If they're not adequate etc then i'll have to change them. I have a 'pit' underneath my garage which was used for getting under cars etc that i would like to put the filtration tanks in to keep them out of the way. However, it occurred to me AFTER I bought the stuff that the pump sits in the pond, pumps the water to the tanks and the water flows from the tanks via gravity... Thus not being able to put the tanks in the pit (below the pond and water entry level). So, would it be possible to have a drain of some sort in the bottom of the pond to flow into the tanks and then put the pump into the tank to pump up and into the pond as a waterfall? From the bottom of the tank in the pit to the pond water level would be roughly 7ft.

The pump is an Oase 12000 ltr/hr (200 ltr/min).

Any suggestions welcome.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think you are asking for trouble
Do you have more than one option?

Reaction score
The bottom of the tanks dont matter, they could be burried 100 feet deep, no worries. What matters is the top of the tanks and the surface level of the pond. If the tops of the tanks are below surface level of the pond, you will need pressure filters, not the stuff you can typically build yourself, and if the height difference is several feet, even most regular pressure filters may not take the pressure (they have to cope with the pressure from the pump as well). Not something Id like in my garage. One day the thing bursts and your house is flooded.

Reaction score
So is it a no no having the tank below pond level if it isn't pressurised? Basically, I cant have the water fed into the filtration tank via gravity and pump the water back in the pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it could work if your pump worked at the exact rate the kept the gravity fed water taken out at the exact rate it is fed into the tank. ow it will 1) run dry 2) overflow

Reaction score
I guess its possible with a float valve in the gravity feed. But boy, Id have sleepless nights if I knew any malfunction there could cause my pond to flood my entire first floor.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Im not saying it cant be done , but every thing would have to go right all the time,a rain could put it out of wack..i like my pond but i dont want to sit and wait for some thing bad to happen

Ask a Question