Rocks and gravel on the bottom of the pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As with anything, too much can create a toxic situation. The proper use of rock and gravel in a pond is actually quite beneficial. It creates more surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow. It creates more surface area for periphyton to grow and thrive augmenting the Oxygen content of the water and creating habitat for myriad micro-organisms to also grow and thrive increasing the biological diversity of the pond's eco-system. In doing so creates the predation level needed to keep many aquatic pathogenic organisms in check. Enables, with proper husbandry, the pond's eco-system to achieve a biochemical balance not found in a liner only pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Nice work! I know there are some folks who manage to keep the rocks and gravel at the bottom of the pond clean and muck free but in my case the pond in the back yard of the home we purchased had laid dormant and unattended for so long it was full of dirt and weeds and such. The rocks were not the problem per se but I couldn't remove that stuff without also removing the rocks. Sounds like you've done the same. Best wishes and if you have any photos be sure to share!

Yes, it was clearish but with fish in it was soup as they stirred the sludge and muck.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 188
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
As with anything, too much can create a toxic situation. The proper use of rock and gravel in a pond is actually quite beneficial. It creates more surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow. It creates more surface area for periphyton to grow and thrive augmenting the Oxygen content of the water and creating habitat for myriad micro-organisms to also grow and thrive increasing the biological diversity of the pond's eco-system. In doing so creates the predation level needed to keep many aquatic pathogenic organisms in check. Enables, with proper husbandry, the pond's eco-system to achieve a biochemical balance not found in a liner only pond.
of gravel
Can't say I know enough to disagree as I see this topic is quite polarized, but our ponds were an absolute mess. Buckets and buckets of gravel and an entire truck bed of rocks. I was shocked as I thought the ponds were very shallow and their in fact quite deep.

Ask a Question