Rocks under my liner

Reaction score
OK, I really thought we did a better job.

We thought we had all the rocks out of the hole after we dug it. BUT....after filling our pond with water, we saw EVERY rock we missed.:cool: No real sharp edges, but you can see some of them in pretty good detail. On the sides, I guess the weight of the water pushed in and sunk the wall in deeper than the rocks (if that makes sense). There are protrusions in the liner in a couple of places I KNOW we had the wall flat without rocks. Also, wrinkles appeared in the bottoms and sides. I tried to work all of the wrinkles to the corners. I was sure I had no wrinkles in the bottom. I built a step over on one end to more easily get out, and I knew I'd have them there, but not the bottom. The wrinkles in the bottom are small, but noticeable. I tried to work them all out as the pond filled, but I missed some and couldn't keep up with others. They are small, not even an inch tall, but they are there. Will that be a problem?? There are probably 4 to 7 wrinkles on the bottom that are a foot or two long. There sure seem to be more than I thought on the rounded ends.

No leaks. No sharp points. BUT you can see them. Some from the porch a few feet above the pond. So the question is, do I need to drain the pond? Or...will this be alright? Am I worrying over nothing? We used a felt type underlayment and a 45 mil EPDM liner.

I really don't want to drain the pond, move the liner, lay the underlayment AGAIN, drag the liner BACK into the hole while trying not to disturb the underlayment, so forth and so on.

Besides, I sort of like the uneven look it's created by sinking in around some areas on the walls.

Reaction score
I agree with koidaddy. I would just leave things be if there is no danger of the rocks poking through over time. With regard to wrinkles, it is nearly impossible to get them all out of a pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The wrinkles will fade into the bottom once you get a algae coating

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Next time use news paper or sand as a underlayment

NEVER EVER use carpet or the padding,as the padding or carpet decomposes the gases from that will put air bubbles under the liner.............,and smell to high heaven, ouch........imho

Reaction score
I've heard this myth for years, and can say its not true if you use synthetic carpeting. Most of us don't have wool carpeting (since it's pretty expensive), and have nylon carpeting.

The backer on carpet is basically a natural fiber that is straw-like, and that will break down. Then the nylon pile will kinda sit around for years and years with no effect. I saw this clearly on my old pond when I went to pop the hole for the retro drain. Thee backing on the carpet was gone, but the carpeting looked like the day it was put in and was completely stable.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Hydrostatic pressure can build up and make your pond bubble up especially considering you are possibly not installing rock or gravel in the pond. Just think of wet, moldy, smelly carpet rotting under your pond. Especially in an area with all the rain and snow you get each winter. YUCKY.....

Geotextile Underlayment is dirt cheap in the perspective of your project and literally will take about 60 seconds to install as opposed to cutting and forming the old yucky carpet could take an hour or more.

But each to there own koikeepr :bowdown:.......

Reaction score
You are right diggin.

I just used nylon carpeting around my bottom drains, and got regular underlayment to put all over the walls and then on top of the carpeting. It was a thin felt, but a very interesting product in that it was made from recycled plastic bottles and recycled denim jeans. It was considered green. It was certainly easily to keep against steep walls versus thick pile carpeting. And, it was cheap.

I do know, that if you do not use proper felt underlayment under a firestone liner and use carpeting, that firestone voids your warranty should you have a problem. So, that's worth taking note of.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I do know, that if you do not use proper felt underlayment under a firestone liner and use carpeting, that firestone voids your warranty should you have a problem. So, that's worth taking note of
Good point! always check the manufacture warranty.

Reaction score
I had a few people try to sell me on using carpeting or carpet padding. Someone told me to use an old sleeping bag. Nope, I figured I only wanted to do it once, so I used the felt that was made to be used as underlayment.

I think the rocks that I was worried about will be fine. Today, I had to get in the pond. With the rain we've had, some places seem to have sunk in farther, leaving more rocks vivsible through the liner. However, I can grab the liner and easily pick it up off of the rocks, even on the bottom of the pond. So, I'm thinking it looks worse than it is. It doesn't appear that there is too much pressure on the rocks from the liner.

Ask a Question