Rubbermaid Bog Bending

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe, for the big bog -- just a short conduit to carry water to a waterfall. Think of it more like an extended waterfall. I wanted a stream for the turtle-bog, but in the end opted for the closed PVC for several reasons. The main reason was since the stream would flow a good distance through the habitat on its return to the pond, I could see major issues with dirty turtles getting into the filtered water. A stream would be nice for them, but not with this setup.
:):):) Not wanting to offend, but the question was for Tbendl:):):), but a stream might be a nice addition for you also.
Aren't 'dirty' turtles entitled to a bath?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:):):) Not wanting to offend, but the question was for Tbendl:):):), but a stream might be a nice addition for you also.
Aren't 'dirty' turtles entitled to a bath?
Ooops!! Well, it followed my note, so........ Sorry, @tbendl -- I promise I'm not trying to take over your thread!!!!!!

@Meyer Jordan That's what their exclusive bog is all about :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you still planning on adding some form of stream?
I would like to. I'm going to try and mock it up today and see what I can realistically do. The drop in elevation off the back of the pond is a bit more than I had originally thought but I am still hoping to have maybe a fatter stream area. I will be sure to get some pictures and actually had planned on sending you a run down to get your thoughts since we had discussed it in the way back machine many moons ago :) hehe
I was hoping to do this all at once with the relining of the pond but that just isn't going to happen. Oh well, leave it to me to "wing it" as a strategy.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would like to. I'm going to try and mock it up today and see what I can realistically do. The drop in elevation off the back of the pond is a bit more than I had originally thought but I am still hoping to have maybe a fatter stream area. I will be sure to get some pictures and actually had planned on sending you a run down to get your thoughts since we had discussed it in the way back machine many moons ago :) hehe
I was hoping to do this all at once with the relining of the pond but that just isn't going to happen. Oh well, leave it to me to "wing it" as a strategy.

Anticipating your mock up. Please include measurements.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here it is. The width is looking to be around 7-8' at it's widest and the length from ponds edge to the edge of the bog is around 8' as well.
Short and fat... Like my MIL... Bahahaha I tease... She isn't fat.
Anyway so I include my "masterpiece" and the picture of the super crude mock-up.
masterpiece.jpg

2016-08-30 17.10.35.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I have a similar set up to what you are trying. I made a "veggie filter" in a 100 gal rubber made tank. The tank houses mainly yellow flag iris and each saeson i throw in 4-6 water hyacinths. To create the water fall I used three 1.5 inch bulk heads with pvc pipe . I had to seal the edges of the bulk heads with silicone because the area I drilled wasn't flat. A better option would be a uniseal. They can be purchased from amazon in various sizes. I didn't know about the uniseal at the time but recently used them on 55 gal drums water tight no issues

My tank has a drain spout at the bottom and I plumbed a line to attach a utility pump. This allows me to drain the tank and water my vegetables with fish fert water.

Good luck with your project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks Gordo! What size PVC pipe did you use for the plumbing? Or did you use 1.5" throughout??
Any pictures?
The three bulk heads are 1.5 inch each . I have 1.5 inch pvc in each . The pipe from my pump to the tank is 1.5 inches. I originally drilled 2 holes but the water wasn't draining fast enough. So much for the 2 to 1 ratio. So I had to add the 3rd hole. The pipes are hidden by rocks. When I get home from work I can get pics.

I know your intentions are to create a bog which I assume means adding pea gravel. Just a FYI the iris I am using is bare root no gravel. The roots after 3 years are massive taking up the entire tub. My water is crystal clear.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I currently have a single Laguna 2400 going to an Oase filter. I will use my second Laguna 2400 for the bog. It has a 1 1/4 flexible tubing which will feed into the stock tank which will be plumbed with 1 1/2" PVC. The plan is to use either 2 or 3 1 1/2 or 2" outlet PVC pipes which will feed the waterfall.
That will be it for filtering and water movement.
I hope.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see that you are staying with an earlier idea. There is a way to incorporate the processes of a 'bog' without utilizing a separate tank. Give me a little time to draw up a diagram of how it can be done.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That would be great Meyer!
Although I already have the tank... Maybe I could return it though I am really looking for something that will require less cleaning than the bog I had since I couldn't flush it out. This container has a bottom drain so I could periodically flush it.
I know we talked about a stream but there is just too much of a slope down to go any farther back than that 7 feet.
I also know you and I have talked about the mechanical filtration part and I keep forgetting what serves as that. If it's my Oase filter or the Laguna pump just chops it up before sending it upstream.

Ask a Question