Rubbermaid Bog Bending

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think that truthfully was the issue with mine TM. I didn't thin it or do anything to it all spring and summer and you can't fit an already gravel filled bucket with the roots from 9,000 5' tall plants. LOL I have learned a little daily/weekly/monthly maintenance goes a long way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
@tbendl The filter at top is secondary mechanical filtration to try and "polish" the water. My main mechanical filtration is in a skimmer box.The filter when secured properly doesn't cause overflow issues. As you might guess by my response it did overflow once. I've tweaked this to keep the quilt batting from clogging the out puts. If you're interested I can pull it out and get a pic . With the maintance routine I discribed in the post with pics I don't experience decreased flow rates.

If the tub has a valve on the bottom it may be worth building a permeable shelve above the height of the valve. The pea gravel can sit on this and you can open the valve to release the muck that builds up.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's not a bad idea. I wonder what I could use that would be small enough not to let the pea gravel fall through and strong enough to support the weight of all the gravel and plants... Hmmmm If you can find a picture I would appreciate it since I'm in the building phase right now and considering all my options. Thank you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gordo33 I would like to see as many pictures as you can post. I'm not doing what T is doing, but am looking for more efficient mechanical filtration.

@tbendl As Gordo mentioned having a drain at the bottom, let me throw in my 2 cents (though you might already know this....). When I built my Skippy, I read recommendations to disregard that little outflow and spigot that's on the Rubbermaid tank. Too small. So I installed an additional drain on the bottom -- I think it's 2". I put mine directly on the bottom, using something called a shower drain flange, but removed the screen). BUT, because it's on the very bottom, I have to elevate the tank on cinder blocks and make a space for the pipe. Point is, though, don't rely on the wimpy little drain in the tank.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmm I hadn't read that about the drain. I hate to drill extra holes though since it just increases the points of leakage but it is definitely something to consider. Thanks TM

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's not a bad idea. I wonder what I could use that would be small enough not to let the pea gravel fall through and strong enough to support the weight of all the gravel and plants... Hmmmm If you can find a picture I would appreciate it since I'm in the building phase right now and considering all my options. Thank you.
Hmmm, maybe my previous pond set-up before I made the turtle-bog will help. At first, well, too much unnecessary detail..... Let's just say that I built a frame with PVC pipe. I covered the TOP of the PVC frame with vinyl lattice. This was the FLOOR of a beach-like gravel bog area for the turtsI covered the lattice with mesh needlework/canvas panels. Used a few zip-ties in the process..... My overall design for this as a pond/bog was a fail, BUT the lattice & mesh floor worked great. Or should I say, grate! The canvas/mesh comes in several "hole" sizes and a couple of sheet sizes, is inexpensive, and easy to work with. I had to go overkill with the support structures, as it had to be able to hold my weight plus rocks & gravel.

The mesh looks like this (the plastic, not the fabric). I used the largest mesh size, which was still way too small for gravel to fall through. Hobby Lobby has it.
image.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmm I hadn't read that about the drain. I hate to drill extra holes though since it just increases the points of leakage but it is definitely something to consider. Thanks TM
I used some EPDM and made gaskets from that. I might have sealed with something as well, but it was too long ago to remember. I've never had a leak from there. One good point to remember with any of these tanks......drill into a flat area and try to avoid any of the curved or contoured places. Much better chance for a secure seal.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I was curious, and not to start a riot or anything but I have both an OASE BioSmart 5000 Gal 2700 GPH Filter-Box and a bog. Both were running off their own 2400 GPH Laguna pump.
Which one do you suppose was filtering better?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I was curious, and not to start a riot or anything but I have both an OASE BioSmart 5000 Gal 2700 GPH Filter-Box and a bog. Both were running off their own 2400 GPH Laguna pump.
Which one do you suppose was filtering better?
Is this a "choose one"? I'll bet the bog was better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
@Gordo33 I would like to see as many pictures as you can post. I'm not doing what T is doing, but am looking for more efficient mechanical filtration

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a separate thread discribing my set up.

@tbendl this is what the quilt batting catches before the water leaves the Rubbermaid tank preventing the muck going into the pond.
image.jpeg

This is what the filter before the waterfall outlet looks like. There is black Matala pad behind the quilt batting
image.jpeg image.jpeg
This hibiscus plant loves the water I ring out from the QB into its soilimage.jpeg
I agree with Mmathis find a flat surface if you van when drilling BUT if you have to drill curved surfaces get UNISEALS.
image.jpeg They work great. I get them off Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I used light diffuser grates as a shelf to anchor the yellow flag in the Rubbermaid. I build a frame using 1/2" pvc. I zip tied the grates to the PVC. It is a hard plastic but I can't verify if it is strong enough to support the pea gravel's weight. My frame is a hollow rectangle but for your application I would try to strengthen it with additional horizontal pieces every 8".
This pic is a small one I use on a plant shelf in the pond(top view looking down

image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
@Gordo33 So if that's what goes into the pond, what does it look like going into the bio-filter? That's nasty!
That filter pad before the waterfall outlet prevents the muck from entering the pond. I posted a thread discribing my mechanical filtration last night. I am adding some pics of water in a glass from the Rubbermaid and pond . It shows the effectiveness of the mechanical filtration​

Ask a Question