Saddest time of the year....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am happy to see this summer end. It was way too hot and humid for me to even enjoy the pond. Besides that, fall is my favorite season. I love the cooler weather, the colorful leaves, the shorter daylight hours, the pumpkins, apples and mums. Oh and Halloween too!

I do hate the thoughts of shutting down the pond and the cold and snow that follow.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am happy to see this summer end. It was way too hot and humid for me to even enjoy the pond. Besides that, fall is my favorite season. I love the cooler weather, the colorful leaves, the shorter daylight hours, the pumpkins, apples and mums. Oh and Halloween too!

I do hate the thoughts of shutting down the pond and the cold and snow that follow.....
I'm with you on saying good bye to the heat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay we all need to think positive! Actually the fall is the best time to do maintenance around the pond. The fish have built up good resistance and are much stronger than the early spring and are much less bothered by new liner or anything else you need to add. This is a great time to do cleaning or any other sort of maintenance or building on to the pond with waterfalls or streams or anything else. I think it's a common fallacy that cleaning should be done in the spring. Then you are churning up bad bacteria when the fish can least handle it. Also it not great to do these projects when it's really hot in the summer when the pond water might not have enough O2 to make your fish comfortable. Also you can get great deals on landscape materials like rocks at the end of the season as some places will be happy to clear out space for seasonal goods.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Autumn has always been my favorite season, too!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay we all need to think positive! Actually the fall is the best time to do maintenance around the pond. The fish have built up good resistance and are much stronger than the early spring and are much less bothered by new liner or anything else you need to add. This is a great time to do cleaning or any other sort of maintenance or building on to the pond with waterfalls or streams or anything else. I think it's a common fallacy that cleaning should be done in the spring. Then you are churning up bad bacteria when the fish can least handle it. Also it not great to do these projects when it's really hot in the summer when the pond water might not have enough O2 to make your fish comfortable. Also you can get great deals on landscape materials like rocks at the end of the season as some places will be happy to clear out space for seasonal goods.
There ya go!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE AND THE WINTER TALK? WAAAAAHHHHHH!

I just told my husband today I'm not ready to say goodbye to summer yet!
Every day that sun is going down earlier and earlier.... I get home around 6pm, so I am now at the point where I get maybe an hour of daylight after work if I have to do anything outside! :( And it only gets worse from here.... so this is why I become a weekend warrior when it comes to getting yardwork done.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love this time of year. Maybe not as far as my pond or garden goes, I'm already seeing a huge decline of wildlife in my native garden, but early-mid Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love the long shadows cast by the angle of the sun. I love sitting out and having fires on a cool evening. We've got a chainsaw carving festival at a local nature center coming up soon. I'm already planning an autumn camping trip, which is something I always look forward to. Plus, I love hiking this time of year, especially once the leaves begin to change. Once you add in Halloween and the horror movie season, it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

However, then we enter November and suddenly things are much different. Gray skies, cold weather, and inevitably, snow. ...and that won't leave for at least 4 months, though it'll feel like 8 months.

Well, now I'm sad.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, @JBtheExplorer, you started out your post with such a great feeling for the season -- don't get sad! I, too love Autumn, and for most of the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. But I don't think we have chainsaw carving festivals here in LA -- maybe we do, IDK. That really sounds like fun! Sometimes I wished I lived in a part of the country that was more immersed in local & regional traditions, esp since many of those traditions harken back to the time those areas were settled. Oh, we have a few things here, and there's more in South LA, but nothing I associate with REAL seasons! As far as camping & hiking..... Yes, to trips where there are hills, mountains, waterways, and where the weather IS the season! Where do you go to hike & camp? My only experience coming up will be with the Boy Scouts which isn't quite the same. But it's still outdoors!!!!!

I look forward to our yearly snow ski vacations -- and this year we are going to go twice [Steamboat Springs, CO]!! The first time we've ever been able to make more than one trip. Yes!! Snow [that I don't have to worry about] for 2 weeks!! They are predicting an El Nina weather pattern for 2016-2017 and that is supposed to be a bad thing for snow in the Rockies, but good for other parts of the country -- with regards to recreational snow. Praying for a very mild El Nina!!!!!!

But I get sad at this time of year when the participation and activity on GPF gets quiet.....:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been stripped to the waist in 25c heat for over two weeks now here in Pllymouth which for the middle of September is nice here in the South West , we did have soome thunder and lightening early one morning and weve had cloud but the heat remains and Like @Lisak1 we arent ready to let go just yet either :happy:

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I look forward to fall and cool and dead weeds that went crazy with all the rain , we had at the beginning of summer, now bone dry, but the weeds live on!

I love the break winter gives from the yard work and the bees. The pond is a non issue, it takes almost no work, easy to care for!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love the break winter gives from the yard work and the bees. The pond is a non issue, it takes almost no work, easy to care for!
That's it right there!
Don't get me wrong, I love flowers! ...but I work so hard in my yard, even when is all planted and trimmed, I spend hours watering plants every night after work and, so by now, I'm looking forward to the break the cooler weather brings!

Now I can start planning my garden for next year!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I agree about getting a break from the bees. And the mosquitoes too (which is exactly why I can't do yard work too late into the evening... as soon as dusk hits, they come out with a vicious appetite, so even if there is still daylight left, I just don't want to be outside).

We started trimming back some of the bushes and other foliage around the pond this afternoon, and hopefully later or tomorrow I am pulling the rest of the tomatoes and the last of the basil off the plants in the container garden. There should be enough for one last caprese salad. I'll miss the garden-fresh tomatoes. The ones from the store are just never the same.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure what fall is where you live but here we are not getting a fall or winter because i said so ;)

Ask a Question