Salting the pond

Reaction score
Hi...I am new to this forum, but have had a pond for 12 years. Long story short, I lost my 3 Koi to bad water but have learned a great deal since. I took my old liner out, bought a new one, enlarged it to about 850 gallons. I don't intend to have a great deal of fish...have 2 very small Koi, 2 Fantails, that is going to be it for my pond. I have a question...does anyone recommend regularly salting a pond, or just if it is needed?

Also, if nitrate levels go high (which right now, everything is perfect...I have bog plants and others also) what do you do?

I have read about water changes 1x per week, about 5-10%. Any thoughts? Thanks so much, I am still learning...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Salt up to .1% is supposed to be good for the koi. Some plants may not like it so you have to find a balance if you have both.
I salt my pond and tanks but I run hot and cold on the .1% level. Never exceed this level unless you are medicating your fish.
On my website there is a link to the University of Florida on this subject.

Ask a Question