addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have converted around a 1/3 of our yard to plants. Threw clover seed out into the grass. We have something blooming all summer long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here farmers are now paid to set aside either whole feilds to nature oor if not the whole field the margins , tis is in an effort to help quite a few species wildlife wise, that man is pushing towards the edge of extinction

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have gotten my milkweed plants from Prairie Moon. So far they haven't done much after 2 seasons, but maybe that's because of renovations where I keep having to transplant them. I bought 5 little bare-root plants in the fall. They are in the turtle-bog. Curious to see what they do come spring.

Oh, and PM also sends a packet of seeds when you order.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, and PM also sends a packet of seeds when you order.

Yes, they give a free packet of Swamp Milkweed (Rose Milkweed) with every order. They sent me 20 packets of leftover free seed packets at the end of last year, and I'm using them all, both in my hopefully wildflower garden and some sprinkled in a nearby prairie that lacks milkweed.

Just found this on leaf2wing website... very informative!! Now I know which type of Milkweed is native to my area :)
http://bonap.net/NAPA/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Asclepias
Yes, thats a great page to see which are native even right down to your individual county, and tells you their status, native, present, rare, invasive, etc.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I read that a couple days ago. Its great to see the government starting to help. Monarchs will need much more than that but its still a great step in the right direction. Sooner or later we'll have to start fixing the damage we've caused and its best we start now before it gets way too expensive and happens way too late.

I also made this short video a few days ago. Its been shared a few times on Twitter and hopefully more and more will share it to help get the word out.

Ask a Question