Saving the Monarchs: FREE Milkweed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I bought 5 kind of milkweed seeds off ebay (native to my area) - I'm going to start it now ;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's another seedling update. Had a few die off, I think its because I got lazy and over watered. The center plant is the one I've been sharing. As you can see, its changed quite a bit and should be ready to go out right at the last frost date. The one on the left is Swamp Milkweed and should also be ready then. That'll go in my bog. The rest of the seedlings, of various native plant species, may be a couple weeks behind.
DSCN7927.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I received my free seeds in yesterday's mail!! I was planning on planting them outside, when warmer...will they do ok, or do I need to start them inside?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I received my free seeds in yesterday's mail!! I was planning on planting them outside, when warmer...will they do ok, or do I need to start them inside?

You can try either or, but I'd recommend inside. You'll get a better survival rate, and you can better control factors like light and water. It's not like mother nature doesn't know what's best, but I haven't had very good luck with starting them outdoors.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Brad Grimm @JBtheExplorer @addy1 My milkweed plants are starting to come up! Is this what they should look like? These are bare roots that I purchased and planted in the fall.

And if I prune, do I let them get a little taller, more leaves? There are a few more plants scattered around that I think are a little taller [older plants].

This is a view of the turtle bog -- that's "Charger" (turtle with red on his shell) in the background, 2nd one to emerge so far this spring.
image.jpg

image.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Brad Grimm @JBtheExplorer @addy1 My milkweed plants are starting to come up! Is this what they should look like?

And if I prune, do I let them get a little taller, more leaves?

Brad says "I waited till (true)leaf 11&12 and cut them off. Last year I cut as early as the 5-6th leaf"

Looks great by the way! I'm jealous of all the greenery (and the turtles). Just a few things starting to pop up here, can't wait until my bog fills in a little more, and can't wait until my seedlings go outdoors.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, yeah, I saw that but didn't want to 2nd guess as I thought he was referring to seedlings rather than root stock.

I'm guessing its probably true to both. Maybe something that needs to be done every spring.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The latest seedling update... My only Swamp Milkweed is the tallest of them all. Ran out of room under my small light so I'll have to plant the rest of my seeds outdoors in May.
DSCN7940.png

Ask a Question