Saving the Monarchs: FREE Milkweed

Reaction score
Hi All! I have been away for a while, busy with a lot of things to do. I am happy to read that more folks here are active in helping the monarch. I posted last summer on help raising monarchs. My final butterfly was released in late September and that one was #62 from my yard. I hope that this summer we all can be successful in releasing a few or more. My past posts included how to help butterflies when they get into trouble with pupating and broken wings. There were 2 worms that had trouble shedding their skin. The first was only 1/4 inch long and he could not complete his skin shed. It looked like it had on a very tight belt as his upper body grew after the partial molt. I tired to help peel away the skin but failed. It died a few hours afterward. While camping, we took the worms and pupa's with us. A larger worm only half molted and I was able to get him out of the skin. I used a magnifying glass, tweezers and a fine needle. He couldn't get his legs out of the old legs kind of like stepping out of tights. I suppose if they aren't successful at molting it is best to put them down. This one died the next day. I released a few butterflies at the camp ground. The rest came home with us. I look forward to reading your adventures in raising milkweed and monarchs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

This is a great discussion of milkweed near water. My name is Brad Grimm. I started the Grow Milkweed Plants website last summer. In the West the Showy milkweed (A. speciosa) grows very well on disturbed banks and hillsides. The deep taproot can grow as deep as 12' in the first two years which can stabilize a new pond or embankment very quickly. Of course my favorite part of the plant is that it attracts monarch butterflies to lay their tiny eggs. It's a win-win near ponds and rivers. The Truckee River near me has many Showy milkweed plants along the banks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey, @Brad Grimm, I've heard that you can trim parts of Milkweed to encourage more branching, but I've never seen anything go into detail about it, or show exactly what to do, so I'm wondering if you could give me a better idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey, @Brad Grimm, I've heard that you can trim parts of Milkweed to encourage more branching, but I've never seen anything go into detail about it, or show exactly what to do, so I'm wondering if you could give me a better idea.
@JBtheExplorer Yesterday I trimmed the top two small leaves on the main stem of these Swamp milkweed plants. New growth is already appearing on one plant just below where I trimmed. Not growing at the cut but actually growing at the base of the lower sets of leaves. On the second plant there is new growth nearly two sets of leaves below the trimmed part. The end result should be a milkweed plant with more branches with more leaves for the monarchs. If you are on Instagram you can follow the progress over the summer here.

Last year I trimmed my Tropical milkweed when it was very young. And then once more a month later. There were a total of about 5-7 main branches by the end of the summer. A un-trimmed plant may just grow in one stalk resulting in fewer leaves for monarchs.

Attachments

• IMG_9841.jpg
    IMG_9841.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Yesterday I trimmed the top two small leaves on the main stem of these Swamp milkweed plants. New growth is already appearing on one plant just below where I trimmed. Not growing at the cut but actually growing at the base of the lower sets of leaves. On the second plant there is new growth nearly two sets of leaves below the trimmed part. The end result should be a milkweed plant with more branches with more leaves for the monarchs. If you are on Instagram you can follow the progress over the summer here.

Last year I trimmed my Tropical milkweed when it was very young. And then once more a month later. There were a total of about 5-7 main branches by the end of the summer. A un-trimmed plant may just grow in one stalk resulting in fewer leaves for monarchs.
UPDATE: BRANCHING HAS BEGUN IN 5 SHORT DAYS. THERE ARE 5 NEW BRANCHES ON ONE PLANT. (Photo attached)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 217

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
UPDATE: BRANCHING HAS BEGUN IN 5 SHORT DAYS. THERE ARE 5 NEW BRANCHES ON ONE PLANT. (Photo attached)

Very cool! I will definitely make sure to do that. As we speak I've got quite a few Butterfly Weed plants growing from seed right now along with a few Swamp Milkweed. How big would you recommend they get before I trim them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I signed up for free milkweed seeds and thought they'd arrived, only to discover it was prescriptions! Darn! I'm going to visit our local nursery to see about seeds / plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I waited till (true)leaf 11&12 and cut them off. Last year I cut as early as the 5-6th leaf. There seems to be no reason not to wait. I think last years plants were getting a bet leggy and I used the trimming to stunt their growth for a few days which worked out nicely. This year I am using a box fan in the grow room to encourage the plants to have stronger stems when they are young. Regardless of trimming soon or late you will most likely see good branching.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This week I added some new photos of "new growth on milkweed". https://www.facebook.com/growmilkweedplants/posts/361106664076207 Although it dies back during the Winter it returns very nicely each Spring. (While it's dead the Monarchs have migrated to warmer climates in CA and Mexico).

Thanks for the FB link! I wasn't sure if it literally died back to the ground [which it apparently does], or kept viable stalks above ground. There isn't a lot of "practical" information out there.

When the stalks begin to grow up, can they be pruned to induce branching? The only ones I have came directly from the grower, started out as straight stalks and stayed that way, so I have no idea what the plants are supposed to do/look like.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've now got 13 Butterfly Weed seedlings growing. Also growing some Purple Coneflowers, Yellow Coneflowers, Swamp Milkweed, and Purple Prairie Clovers. Trying Black Eyed Susans as well but having trouble with them. Maybe the seeds I put out last Fall will have better luck.

This is the same plant I photographed on March 11th.
IMG_1084.png

Ask a Question