Shade plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Can anyone recommend some Full shade/dappled shade plants? The pond only gets an hour of sun in the morning, the rest is mostly dappled and not much gets through the trees. I've found Chameleon plants to do extremely well, Meadowsweet is doing well surprisingly, Impatiens -though an annual it is 100% worth to have, simply because it loves water and shade and has the most beautiful year round blooms in my opinion. Most others are not doing that well, I have Mare's tail but it seems to be dying, not thriving, it looks quite pathetic actually. Many invasive plants just don't do well in shade it seems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hostas might be a good choice for you, each enjoys a different level of light so you will have to play around to find just the right one. I've got them in water and not and most do well in water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Hostas might be a good choice for you, each enjoys a different level of light so you will have to play around to find just the right one. I've got them in water and not and most do well in water.
I have Hostas around the pond and are doing fine there, what about winter though, do they come back or rot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had 4 inches of ice this winter and my hosta's came back, they got dinged, but they came back. Years without all that ice barely phased them.
here's my (previously HUGE) Stained Glass hosta about a week ago and just a bit of an unnamed one too.
1010646.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
We had 4 inches of ice this winter and my hosta's came back, they got dinged, but they came back. Years without all that ice barely phased them.
here's my (previously HUGE) Stained Glass hosta about a week ago and just a bit of an unnamed one too. View attachment 157935
Pretty interesting. I mean I have a Chameleon plant in the pond, grow from basically a stick to a beautiful plant in about 3-4 months. And I planted it at the end of winter. Though I really wonder how roots work here, I presume they go downwards and horizontally to some extent. Cause I do get those periods where water evaporates so some parts of the "coast" would have not as much water. Seeing the Chameleon plant has done pretty well in either times I'd imagine it has roots reaching the water and that keeps it hydrated. I read from someone that just about any plant can grow in water, good experiment I suppose.

Gonna try planting bunch of non traditional pond plants like Astilbe etc, but how it will go we'll see. Appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ferns, hostas. MOSS , MOSS, AND MORE MOSS

Ask a Question