Shaping the Pond After Machine Excavation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Hi, all.

Planning my first in-ground pond. My other is 60% above ground. Even I, the scrawny wiener, was able to dig the little required for that one.

But my contractor said he would happily dig my new pond hole for about a hundred bucks. Can't say no to that deal, since our soil is rocks and clay and a giant disc herniation waiting to happen.

I know nothing about digging equipment. I do know the pond will be no more than 24 inches, and that I want levels, and a shelf for plants. Standard pond dig. Round, about 5'x10' at the most.

So, how do you get the multi-level, shelf-y hole with a machine? Is that something they can do? Is that my job? Would I back fill? I've read that backfilling isn't ideal for creating shelves. I know once he rolls out I'll be working on leveling it, etc. What's the best way to tackle the shaping of the pond?

Thanks,
Laura

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know nothing either about doing the digging w/a big machine. You may have to do the detail shelving work by hand. You will have to ask the guy how precision he is at carving. One thing I would recommend is at the very top of your pond if you want an natural look so you can't see the liner showing above the water line that you add a short shelf between 6 to 8" or more deep so you can place larger rocks down there and then top around the edge of your pond w/ more rocks something like this if you like the look. You can use flat or round rocks whatever you like. I chose round cuz they are plentiful here:

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

Also it would be good if you build the pond edge up higher than the ground below so any runoff will not enter your pond. A mounded hill around the edge kinda deal where you put your edging rocks.

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'd say to layout and paint line the overall shape of the hole for him to dig. Is he using an excavator or loader to dig it up and how big? If excavator, it should be easy for him to dig it with the rough shelves in place.

And once he's done, you can go in and clean it up with a shovel and elbow grease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
He's got a small excavator and a bobcat, so I think someone on his crew can surely give me a rough carve, if that's what they do. (Which is what I guess I was asking - more about excavators than ponds I suppose.)

J.W. - Since I have little guys I'm undecided on what kind of border I need (I need stability), and I like your idea of the shallow shelf for a rock border. Do you find they make it difficult to work around the pond? Twisted ankles or anything? I will absolutely be raising it above ground level to avoid runoff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It really depends how good your guys are with their machines. Our hired excavator was able to follow our painted lines with a precision that was beautiful to watch - lots of years of using the digger! The only shovel work we did was to refine things later when we realized a few areas we had planned weren't going to work - specifically, one wall that was too straight and tall ended up being more sloped and two levels instead of one. Took about 20 minutes of hand digging and we were done!

Good luck! Nothing like a new pond!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If he isn't able to do it, I think the best way would be to let him only dig the deep area, middle of the pond. Then you could cut the shelves around the edges yourself.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lar you can use flatter rocks for the top if you are afraid of tripping or whatever but I have not had any problems myself. I also have plant ledges that I can stand on down in the pond about 18" deep so I usually just step over the rocks on top to the plant ledge when going in there. Lots use flatter rocks tho. The built up edge doesn't have to be as high as I have mine either. Just slight enough so any runoff goes downhill away from the pond. Also that one side of the pond that you see has more rocks on it by that path then all the other sides do. The path side I embedded rocks in the soil sides to keep the dirt from falling out. The other side are not like that so easier to walk on. I usually don't enter the pond from that side by the path.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can wet the dirt and pack it in with your hands ,that's what I did with mine and shaped it but my soil is clay .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He's got a small excavator and a bobcat, so I think someone on his crew can surely give me a rough carve, if that's what they do. (Which is what I guess I was asking - more about excavators than ponds I suppose.)

J.W. - Since I have little guys I'm undecided on what kind of border I need (I need stability), and I like your idea of the shallow shelf for a rock border. Do you find they make it difficult to work around the pond? Twisted ankles or anything? I will absolutely be raising it above ground level to avoid runoff.

I have a rock border too, able to work on the pond without any issues. Sure hides the liner nicely.
I did make a walk out area for this pond, mine goes from 1 foot entry to 5.5 feet deep. It drops in depth quickly but at least easy to get out of. My arizona pond was 5 plus deep all round, if you got in, horrible to get out of.

I used a kubota tractor to dig mine, you can make shelves with the tractor, just have them stop digging at the level you want the shelf to be, dig deeper for the other areas. You do need to do shovel clean up after you are done with tractor work.

You might want a area down to 3 feet or so to help the fish during hot summers, cold winters. Unless you are keeping it at 24 cause of your little ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to mention the walk-out also. I think every pond should have an area that makes it safe and easy to get in and out, both for maintaining your pond, and in the event someone - human or animal - goes in accidently. A beach area like addy described is a good approach. Our pond has a "staircase" built in - we designed one spot with three shelves, each about 12" down from the next, that makes it easy to step down in and climb back out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After my arizona pond build, I had to tie some ropes to a tree to pull myself out of the pond..............This pond made to get out for me for animals easily.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
since you are only going 24 inches deep .I would leave out the plant shelves and just set your plants on a crate that you cut a side out of for fish to hide and put your plant on top of that ,this way you are not limited to where you put your plants at .Plus putting your liner over those plant shelves is a real hassle .Folds are not easy to do .Plus if you put in a plant shelf it may be to small for a pot that you may need to use ,plus putting the plant flat on those folds is not easy .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
You folks are tremendously helpful, thank you!

The pond can be no more than 24 inches according to the city, since I have no fence. I'm willing to put a fence around the pond, but 24 inches is as deep as I'm comfortable with for now anyway. My littlest guy swims, but he's also the kind of kid who climbs ladders in Lowe's and drinks old motor oil, so I can take no chances. We're removed from the rest of the neighborhood, so mine are the only children who have access to it. I have 2 dogs who could, conceivably, decide to cool their paws as well, but they're needed for heron patrol.

Anyway, the crate is a good suggestion, since I need a fish cave anyway. My thoughts, for now, are leaning towards a safe exit point and a shelf here and there but not all the way around. Our soil is clay, as well, so maybe I can indeed build up a shelf with my hands.

The rock edging is what's confounding me. I've looked at all of your ponds dozens of times (since there's nothing else to do here in the frozen tundra) and I'm not sure I'll know what I want to do until I'm halfway done. Flat rocks seems the prudent way to go, I think...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think 24 inches is too shallow for a good shelf around the edge - you can make it wider in some areas and narrower in others. Out fish love to poke around those shallower areas in the pond and the frogs hang out there, too. Just another opinion.

Ask a Question