Share Spring Photos Here!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
CE- got the scrubbies from Doitbest.com. 8 pack for $1. must order 12 packs so I ordered 3 cases. I had also picked up a lot of the 6 packs at Dollar Tree. I do have 2 boxes of Spring-flo under that but it's all easy to clean. Instead of using the plastic light grid that breaks so easily, I had some old vinyl lattice that I cut to fit. I hate to throw anything out. Old gutter guard material will go into my window box bogs.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My flowers are growing well beside all my lovely garden juck! My sweet hubby thinks I overdo the junk, (you should see his junk out back!) but what can I do, I am just a garden junkie? :)

David your hounds are darn cute and love your little aqua duck and cannels!

Attachments

• IMAG8598.jpg
    IMAG8598.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMAG8599.jpg
    IMAG8599.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG8600.jpg
    IMAG8600.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG8586.jpg
    IMAG8586.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Been busy getting things planted, rearranging plants that grew taller than I had expected, then shared plants with two friends, and had to dig and plant those. Whew, but oh my is the work worth it! Neighbor that came to share brought a flower that she says is very invasive, but has the most gorgeous purple flower that I have never seen before! I'm going to try to search for it on the internet. She gave me some starts, half of which got put in the wildflower garden. They are welcome to spread all they want out there.
I know spring is almost at an end, but had to share some pics from my yard I took this afternoon.
Petunias
deep purple and yellow with white stripes.JPGPetunia planters and newly planted area.JPGPetunias on top waterfall edge.JPGPink with white edge and white with yellow centers.JPG
Asiatic lilies - some normal (deep red) some dwarf or "pixie" size.
Deep red Asiatic lily.JPGOrange pixie asiatic lily.JPGyellow pixie asiatic lily.JPG
Delphinium ... when I saw the two-toned purple/blue, I had to have it!
Delphinium.JPG
Dwarf Blanket flower
Dwarf blanket flower.JPG
Pond lilies and frogs. (first photo below has 3 frogs on the lily pads)
Lilies and 3 frogs.JPGPink lilies and parrots feather.JPG
Newly planted area. Loving the petunia plants this year. Lots of Miracle Gro and they are thriving. I use 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons of water each time I water them, which is daily. Recommended fertilization rate is 1 tbl per gallon, so it's a diluted version, works very well in keeping the blooms coming.
Petunia planters and newly planted area.JPG
Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis in bloom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have some plants the neighbor shared with me. She has no idea what they are called, but said they "spread like crazy"! However, she didn't seem to have so many in the one bed where they were blooming. Guess she constantly is sharing them and moving to new areas. I went to take a pic of them, as I now have some, too. I told her if they grow like crazy, I'll just have that many more to share with others! Here they are. The photo looks more bluish/purple, but I assure you they are deep purple. VERY pretty. Not sure what the yellow flower is in with it, but she will share some of those next spring. She says they do NOT transplant well. She has tried many times, always died. Anyone know what either of these plants are?
Purple flower.JPGSandys purple and yellow flowers.JPG
Then, here are the last few pics that I took this afternoon. Love the yellow star petunia. It's one of the tiny bloom varieties, but up close, you don't get better color than that!
So much color in front flower bed - Copy.JPGyellow star petunias.JPGTequila Sunrise Coreopsis - Copy.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
CE, Your flowers are much further ahead than mine, my asian lillys have not bloomed yet, currently my irises are all blooming, must thin them out this year... wish I had your pink hydrangea!

Last three pictures are of my new bug free zone! I made this padio last week, may get more grey blocks and expand it more mas I just love it and the big net will extend even further! :)

Attachments

• IMAG9672.jpg
    IMAG9672.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG9670.jpg
    IMAG9670.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG9667.jpg
    IMAG9667.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG9664.jpg
    IMAG9664.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG9631.jpg
    IMAG9631.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAG9553.jpg
    IMAG9553.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG9527.jpg
    IMAG9527.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG9519.jpg
    IMAG9519.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAG9538.jpg
    IMAG9538.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG9720.jpg
    IMAG9720.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG9736.jpg
    IMAG9736.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAG9737.jpg
    IMAG9737.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh my, Colleen, I need a "bug free zone" here! Now, I just noticed the other day that the kiddie pool that I was tossing algae and other stuff I pulled from ponds and stream, has mosquito larvae in it! Now, how stupid was that to keep that water in there with no fish to eat the larvae? Then, looked a couple of days later, no larvae. So, either the frogs found them and went nuts, or they morphed into bugs. I know there was a bullfrog in there recently, so hoping that's what happened. Hate to dump the water and stuff, as I've found some plants in there after pulling algae, and figured that was a good "in between" place for it to go just in case I pulled something by mistake. BUT, I sure don't need extra mosquito harboring areas.
Your iris are gorgeous, Colleen. And, I love the tiny blue flower next to your pond out front! I see it around here, but never have bought it. Must not look that good in the pots when I see it, then see it in other's yards and love it! I think it's maybe Lobelia.
Thanks for naming the mysterious flower, Addy. I believe that is it! I've sent the link to my neighbor, see what she says.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks CE! I love the lobelia around my front yard pond too, and it is doing well there, heavy clay soil does not dry out fast like sand, they like it moist and cool, and they do good on the north side of the house. My irises love the land down here in the valley, sheltered from the worst wind, and do good in my soil. My good garden friend gave me those Iris years ago, and now they are spreading nicely, better then grass, and requires much less care too! :!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hubby dug this pond out for me for Mother's Day. 50+ gal. preform that I got cheap and used the raised bed idea to save hubby digging. Presently home to Spike, a very small koi who will go to one of the other ponds as soon as the fry are big enough to move for bug control.
Got 18 lotus seeds and have managed to have all survive, potted in 2 gal. buckets for now.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 213
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, really cute idea and love the rubber boot planters! Very unique. And, good luck with your lotus. I still have a couple of mine living, not really sure where to put them or if they will survive. Thinking I'm just going to pot them up and plop them into the goldfish pond, and if they live, good, if not, then at least I tried! I have a few more seeds to score and sprout, but right now not much free time, need to get caught up.
Anyone know what this plant is? Got it this evening from a fellow ponder. He lives in the woods, and this plant is about 12" tall, spreads (although not densely, but maybe that's partly because of mostly shade conditions). It has very soft needles, not spikey at all, and notice the tiny clover looking leaves in the middle? That's part of the same plant! Must be the "bloom". He says it doesn't bloom that he recalls, so maybe this is the "flower". He has no idea what the plant is called.
Unknown plant, the clover looking part is the flower.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Took some pics today after I watered everything. My plants have it made, me being on a well with endless amounts of water ... at least I've never run out except when I was filling my koi pond. :)
Cone flowers, purple with a black swallowtail butterfly, and my new red ... LOVE the red one!
Black swallowtail on purple cone flowers.JPGRed coneflowers.JPG
Cattails are in bloom, not all the way dark brown where they show up better, but you get the idea.
Cattails in bloom.JPG
Horsetail reed and lizard tail
Horsetail Reed.JPGLizard tail.JPG
Triple blooms on the Water Fringe must be common, as I've seen this several times now. Loving it! The blooms don't last very long, but the plant looks like a tiny water lily.
Triple water fringe.JPG
And, so far I have boring colors in my water lilies - pink or white. What happened to my Georgia Peach??? I'm now wondering if they are all taking on the same coloring, or if I gave away all the GA Peach by accident ... which means I gave away what I THOUGHT was peach when it was maybe pink. :(
Lily and fish.JPG
My favorite camera (just a point and shoot type, nothing fancy, but I was used to it, and it took super zoomed in pics) must have gotten dirt in the zoom, now it won't zoom in. Takes good pics, but what's the fun in that, when you can't get that pic of the dragonfly across the pond? So, e-mailed about getting it fixed/cleaned, and the place said $90-120! So, checked on=line, knowing last time it was around $150. Found the same camera at Sears, on sale $90 off at $79!!! Free shipping, too, so with tax, just $85. I'm in heaven. Should get it next week, at least I hope it doesn't take forever to ship it. Woohoo!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great pix CE. You have a nice asst of flowers and plants. Love the Cone flowers that attract the butterflies. Here are some pix I took a day ago. I have so much drama going on now that I have to force myself to stop and see the pretty stuff blooming all around me.

IMG_4982.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh and can't forget the little wogs and fishies and Larkins Hibiscus is growing that he sent me seeds for several yrs ago.

IMG_4969.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

Ask a Question